Subscriber Discussion

Is There A Way For A Consultant To Express Image Quality In An RFP Or Bid Spec That Is Not Overkill?

U
Undisclosed #1
May 22, 2015

I just viewed a class IVPM did in 2012 relating to PPF quailty. One of the homework assinments involved how to specify image qualty. Was there a good answer for that question? Is there a way for a consultant to express image quality in an RFP or bid spec that is not overkill? Also, is there a new version of what it takes to produce an identification-level image?

JH
John Honovich
May 22, 2015
IPVM

"Is there a way for a consultant to express image quality in an RFP or bid spec that is not overkill?"

See Specifying Surveillance Video Quality.

I do not know why there would be a 'new version of what it takes to produce an identification-level image'. It's a pretty fundamental concept / process that does not change much over time. Big difference in the last few years are just that it's easier to deliver this because the cameras being used are higher resolution, better WDR, better low light, etc.

(1)
Mark Jones
May 22, 2015

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

JH
John Honovich
May 22, 2015
IPVM

The challenge is people looking at the pictures. Reasonable people can disagree. One might say yes image B is just as good as image A, another might say B is definitely not as good. When that happens, with just a picture, how do you adjudicate that in a contract?

Mark Jones
May 22, 2015

Reasonable people often disagree as I found out with my wife last night. The consultant gets the last word. He is being paid to furnish an image, not a system.

Mark Jones
May 22, 2015

But I do get your point that is why analog video won't die. Some consider it good enough.

Ari Erenthal
May 22, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Well, it absolutely is good enough, for certain applications. If I want to see the faces of people entering and exiting a set of rooms, and I want to save video for two weeks, there's nothing an IP system can do that an analog system can't, for a third the price. Okay, other than storage redundancy, maybe.

But no one wants to rehash this conversation again.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions