Subscriber Discussion

Power Quality Testing Equipment Questions

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 27, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Has anyone here had to deal with power quality issues? We have a site that I would like to monitor the quality of power to pinpoint an issue. I don't have any data to say for certain it is a power issue, but it's something I need to rule out. 

What I am looking for is a device that will record power quality conditions that I can access either via built in webpage or have it report to a cloud based service. 

Ideally, this device would have a 5-15 NEMA male plug to connect to the power outlet with a pass through 5-15 NEMA female plug to pass the power to the equipment we are having issues with. 

The device would of course need network connectivity, either wired or wireless. 

I have found devices that you use while on site in the moment. I have also seen permanent devices. What I want is something temporary that you leave in place for a few days, but can easily remove and retain for future use. Something in between what I have found. 

Basically a Kill-a-Watt meter, but for quality and not quantity. I think something like this has got to exist. 

Brian Karas
Feb 27, 2017
IPVM

Last time I dealt with power quality analysis (15 years ago for a datacenter operation) Dranetz was the go-to name in this.

Dranetz Power Analyzers

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 27, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I looked there, but they seem to be overkill for this simple issue. They seem to be focused on permanently installed products. Not a simple plug and test device that I am looking for. If the issue is power, I am under no obligation to correct that. So, I just need a way to test the quality of power to rule it out as a suspect, then move along to troubleshooting other aspects. We have already done quite a bit of troubleshooting and swapping of parts, but the issue persists. I am leaning towards power, but I can't point that finger without data. 

Brian Karas
Feb 27, 2017
IPVM

When I used them I rented one from a local distributor. It had a printer that produced a log of deviations to voltage and frequency (and maybe some other data, I forget). 

Justin Gant
Feb 27, 2017
7PiXL

Here ya go, 

http://espsurgex.com/product/envision/

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Feb 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I have used the envision device. I recommend it as well

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 28, 2017

What kind of problems is it causing and on what kind of system?

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 28, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Three IP cams on a Toughswitch Pro linked back to the main building via Nanostation Loco M5 radios about 300' apart.

The kicker is a railroad track less than 30' from the camera end radio. Every time a train passes by, which is numerous times daily, the cameras drop out. Sometimes it will record one of three, but usually none. 

We have swapped cameras, restricted the bitrate considerably, changed head end switches, updated all firmwares, yada yada yada. The issue never occurs until a train passes. I think there are vibrations affecting an electrical connection somewhere. 

Either that, or the train somehow affects the 5GHz signal. The train passes behind the station radio by 30'. There are no obstructions between the radios themselves. The hundreds of semi trucks passing between the radios daily don't have the same effect. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 28, 2017

Do you have a UPS on it?

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 28, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

As a sub, we didn't design the system and a UPS was not in their plans. If I make a return trip, 2.5hr one way drive, I will be taking one with me. 

Kyle Folger
Mar 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

An update on this issue. In observing the logs on the VMS server, the switch, and the radios, nothing strongly points to a power issue. When the train goes by the server doesn't always report a disconnect. It mainly indicates that packet loss is is more than is acceptable. The station side of the wireless link is on a pole in free air above the building aimed away from the railroad track pointing to the AP side of the link. The AP side of the link is mounted on the side of the metal building and is pointed to the station side of the link. Beyond that it is essentially pointed at the train track. I have used RF Armor on links before, but it wasn't part of this project. We also haven't experienced this particular issue under these circumstances before using the same equipment while passing a lot more traffic.

At this point I am asking if the interference might be caused by reflections and frequency intermods being created or if the train is directly causing the interference. From my quick searching, it seems that trains wouldn't be using 5GHz. I probably won't ever be able to determine the exact cause as the site will be installing IP phones in the coming months and will need to run fiber near this building. At that point a wired drop will go directly to the network switch. The wired connection will be able to eliminate or bring to light the potential power issue if one exists. If the wired connection fixes the issue, than wireless interference would most likely be the problem.

At this point, I'm just curious since this is a problem I haven't run into before, and hopefully never will again. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions