Subscriber Discussion

How To Show 4MP / 4K Camera Shots To Prospects On Mobile Devices?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jun 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

So with mobile being so popular, and built around, how do we post videos showing camera resolution, without YouTube dumbing it down?

If I have a client using analog cameras and I am trying to show the quality of 4MP, it doesn't help if YouTube dumbs it down to 720P... on a mobile device.

[IPVM Note: the title and opening comment was updated to better describe the request]

Ari Erenthal
Jun 20, 2017

Vimeo and DailyMotion are both able to support 4K.

Here's some reviews of video hosting services.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 21, 2017
IPVM

YouTube is 1080P

Where do you get YouTube is 1080p? I see numerous videos that are available at 4K on YouTube. And, for example, YouTube's recommended resolutions list 4MP and 4K.

Ethan Ace
Jun 21, 2017

I was going to ask the same thing. There are actually several 8K examples, as well.

That being said, I just tried to upload a 20MP video and it downscaled it to 360p for some reason.

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Jun 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

When I go to that 8MP video from my iPad, and click on the gear for resolution, the highest option I get is 720p.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 21, 2017
IPVM

I get options up to 8K on my laptop:

But playing 8K puts a huge CPU load and takes a while to load, etc.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jun 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I tried from my desktop and I get the 8K option and experienced a loading issue as well.

So with mobile being so popular, and built around, how do we post videos showing camera resolution, without YouTube dumbing it down?

If I have a client using analog cameras and I am trying to show the quality of 4MP, it doesn't help if YouTube dumbs it down to 720P... on a mobile device.

Brian Hampton
Jun 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Is your mobile device capable of displaying the higher resolutions? That may be the issue. 

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jun 25, 2017

John,

what model laptop is that?!?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jun 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I guess I assumed since i can not remember ever seeing a video that was higher than 1080 when I adjusted the resolution

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 26, 2017

Try testing you phone while it is on wi-fi to see if new options become available.  Just a guess.

Vincent Tong
Jun 26, 2017

Can't you just leave the unaltered clip on your mobile device and show it to your customer from there?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions