Subscriber Discussion

POS Integration With Exacq

CS
Carl Schroeder
Apr 24, 2013

We have to integrate an older Casio Register (TK6000) with an Exacq hybrid system in a small retail store. The register has a serial port so I assume it will output the data. I can't find anything but a user manual online. The problem is we have a 75+' distance to cover. I know this is too far for a regular serial cable. Can this be done by running serial over CAT5 to span this distance? Also, how do we determine the pinout of the cable on both sides?

UPDATE ANSWER: How To Integrate Exacq To A Point Of Sale System Via Serial Out Of Printer?

Luis Carmona
Apr 24, 2013
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

We've never used, but I know Barix has a serial over Ethernet device.

We tested one of their audio over IP devices, it worked and their support was helpful. (Of course they were trying to sell us something.)

They may be willing to help you figure out the pinouts if you buy, but I'd talk to them about it.

A contact name I have is William Scmidt, will@barix.com.

SR
Scott Reames
Apr 24, 2013

I have pushed serial over a 16 -3 conductor 75' very successfully. By serial port are you talking about the 9 pin? If so the pinouts for RS232 are 2 to 3, 3 to 2, 5 and 7 at both ends are interchangeable for ground. You can try this with a make your own kit from Radio Shack and I used a regular 16 -3 SO cord. Radio Shack also makes a serial to USB adapter for $40 bucks and I have had about 50/50 success with those.

CS
Carl Schroeder
Apr 24, 2013

Yes I was talking about the 9 cable. They ran CAT5 but we can easily try a heavy stranded cable. I'll just lay it on the ground and see if it works first. Thanks so much.

Carl Lindgren
Apr 24, 2013

OR you could use RS232 - to - RS485 converter(s). RS485 can be run on CAT5/6 and it can travel up to 4,000 feet. Converters are quite inexpensive.

Ethan Ace
Apr 24, 2013

In a lot of (maybe most) cases, you can convert serial to IP at the sending device and just create an IP serial port on the receiving device. This is how I've seen integrations done, usually, both POS and legacy stuff like access/intrusion detection/surveillance. It's common even when you can easily run cable between the two, just because serial ports can be hard to come by these days.

I'm not sure what's required on the Exacq end, however. They have some POS integrations, but not many. Without them, you may just be looking at the raw serial stream, which may or may not be okay with you.

CS
Carl Schroeder
Apr 24, 2013

Hmm. That might be a better solution since the wire is already run. I used your link to the Lantronix site and I found this which looks like it might do the job. It costs less and has a DB9 connector. I'm not sure what I am going to see in Exacq either. It might just be a mess of data? Thank you.

MC
Margarita Castillo
Apr 25, 2013

Hmm... on an off-note here, does anyone else have a problem thinking the correct term that goes with "POS" besides me? lol

Carl Lindgren
Apr 25, 2013
Think that's a problem? We double-up the term when referring to the POS interface system we bought a few years ago. It never worked properly, hence the descriptive name we call it: The POS POS.
MC
Margarita Castillo
Apr 25, 2013

LOL! Glad I"m not the only one thinking that way!

Campbell Chang
Apr 26, 2013

A pair of these puppies ought to do the trick. I've taken the ends off these because it's easier for me to figure pinouts with the bare wires.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions