Subscriber Discussion

Portable, Deployable, Temporary Surveillance Options?

JG
James Gowan
Feb 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I work within a police department on a university campus.  From time to time we are faced with high priority needs for watching a specific area for which there has not been a permanent budgetary plan for surveillance.  This might be a specific behavioral issue or even "rash" of thefts scooters/ motorcycles.  While significant investments are being made for increasing our video coverage in a permanent way, these temporary, somewhat unforeseen situation do come up.

I have been asked to explore the options for portable, deploy-able, temporary surveillance.  The system that is being built is a network based system which uses Genetec for access control and video surveillance both of which are in a state of large-scale redesign and update.  We are currently partnered with an integrator for this work.  We need to be able to, from the police department, authorize, install, and re-deploy, this concept both indoors and out relatively easily and quickly. 

Ideas?

Thanks

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Feb 17, 2017

Excellent topic as most end-users experience this need at some point.

This article offered some rather expensive ideas: "Startup Targets Rapid Deployment Cameras"

One thing to consider, try to get a permanent camera installed if the target area is likely to be a repeat hotspot for issues.    

There are trail-type cams. Some with a solar panel for power and some use cellular. I have no experience with these though.  

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Feb 17, 2017

Did your integrator recommend a solution? Go Tigers!

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 17, 2017

Well since you have Genetec you have a lot of options.   But you need to decide if you want to be able to real time access the live and recorded video or if you want to mount the camera let it record then retrieve the camera to review video.  

Axis has great integration where you can use the SD cards in the cameras for local storage which Genetec can access and retrieve later.  The Axis F44 is very flexible for setups like this.  

JS
Jeff Sandine
Feb 17, 2017
RadiusVision

There are many options to choose from for a fully autonomous, battery powered, wireless camera systems, providing the budget is there. 

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 18, 2017

You didn't specify a budget or a form factor, so I will give you what we have done with one of our university clients. This isn't theirs, but this is an example of what we did. 

Trailer-mounted elevated watchtower. Mount a generator on the trailer. Install either a rugged DVR inside or use cameras with an SD card. Install cameras all around it on movable arms. Ensure at least one PTZ. Install a Cradlepoint router with a 4G SIM card. May need two depending on the number and resolution of cameras and what you're trying to accomplish. Get a subscription to Genetec Stratocast for however many cameras you have. 

Profit.

Cameras pull directly into Security Center and can be viewed live. 

It's not cheap. But if you have an existing watchtower (many schools your size do), then the investment is minimal. If you don't, now you have further justification for getting one. 

Not as though you'd need it because I'm sure you're being blown up by other integrators, but I'm happy to assist/consult if necessary. IPVM can give you my contact information. 

(1)
(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Feb 18, 2017

What LTE Data plans are you using for these setups?

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 18, 2017

Big ones.

Seriously though, we primarily partner with Verizon.

Keep in mind, the idea is not to stream 100% of the time. If that's the goal, then it may not be the best solution -- in that case, the best solution would be to have someone INSIDE the watchtower, actually watching what is going on. The goal is for a portabledeployable, temporary solution. That's what this is.

There may also be better options with a wireless mesh or something like that, but that's something I can't discuss because I don't know specifics. I just know that this is something that will work in any major city with cell coverage.

(2)
Faris AlZamel
Feb 18, 2017
Zamco Security Systems Co.

Hey James,

Please check OTS Solution, it's a bit bulky but i guess it would help.

http://www.ot-systems.com/en-ww/applications/list.php?AID=9

They have both Indoor and outdoor Solution , both solar powered.

JS
Jeff Sandine
Feb 18, 2017
RadiusVision

James. If you require a rapid deployment, 100% battery powered & wireless camera system, running Genetec VMS, I suggest: use a Pelican case to house a 100Ah battery pack (with backup battery pack and 110 AC charger) that also houses a fanless embedded PC with SSD storage running Genetec software, a 4G/LTE or point-to-point wireless system. Add a tripod with the camera of your choice and antennas. We sell systems like this starting at $12K. If you want to build yourself, parts cost is about $7K.

JS
Jeff Sandine
Feb 18, 2017
RadiusVision

For 4G/LTE applications, I recommend using Verizon as they make it very easy to set up data accounts, their coverage in the US is most comprehensive. (AT&T data accounts are a nightmare to set up compared to Verizon). 

For battery powered or solar powered 4G/LTE projects, the Sierra Wireless Raven RV50 cellular gateway requires the least amount of power, has the industrial hardened ratings that are often required for extreme environmental conditions, their cloud based dashboard keeps tabs on data usage, system health, etc.

When ordering the RV50, we also order a SIM card for the specific cellular provider. With the SIM card EMEI serial # and cellular gateway info, you call Verizon and set up the account, you pay Verizon directly for your data usage. You will need a static IP address at $500 if purchasing directly through Verizon, or if you are purchasing your data plan through a reseller of Verizon, the reseller may offer you a subdomain IP address that does not require the purchase of an IP address.

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 18, 2017

They are called M2M accounts which allow you to have publicly routable static IP addresses and you have to pay $500 to Verizon to get an account setup.   Once you have the account setup you can activate lines with up to 10GB of data. All of your plans on this M2M account are pooled between your account.  Personally,  I like Peplink better because the routers are carrier agnostic. 

(1)
JS
Jeff Sandine
Feb 18, 2017
RadiusVision

Which Peplink cellular router do you like? Do you know the power usage?

One of the primary reasons we use the RV50 for battery or solar powered system is its low power requirement.

Sierra Wireless info says: The RV50 offers best-in-class power consumption combined with LTE performance, and is optimized for battery and solar applications. It is the industry’s only LTE gateway with 2G power consumption, operating at 900 mW in idle mode. For 2G and 3G deployments migrating to LTE, the RV50 will work with existing power infrastructure, eliminating the need to invest in replacement solar panels or batteries. Standby Mode provides additional protection for batteries by dropping power consumption to 53 mW, and can be triggered by timers, low voltage detection or I/O.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Feb 18, 2017

Sierra definitely has better power consumption than Peplink.  Depending on the model they use up to 12watts.  

JS
Jeff Sandine
Feb 18, 2017
RadiusVision

The primary downside to the RV50 is that is does not support wi-fi. Most of the time this is not an issue, but on occasion, a customer requires wi-fi with the cellular gateway system, we then use either a different SW model, or the Cradlepoint IBR1100.

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 18, 2017

We had way to many issues with Cradlepoint routers so we switched to Peplink. 

Frank Jacovino
Feb 23, 2017

Check out the IPVM article on the Totally Wireless IP Camera (IPVideo Corp NomadHD). Your application is exactly why the camera was built as being used on university campuses for just this purpose. [Disclosure: I work for IPVideo Corp.)

James Brightman
Mar 03, 2017

We have a WCCTV camera deployed to test it out. Very pleased with results so far. I am not affiliated with them in any way just wanted to say what we are trying out. The installation was a breeze, once you get power to the camera, WCCTV does all necessary programming remotely. They are Verizon certified.

(1)
DD
D DEL SOLDATO
Nov 14, 2021

New member here, and 100% employed by WCCTV (8 years in!). Just wanted to hop on and say thank you for the kind words. We've grown exponentially in the last 4 years and expanded our national presence. Anyone looking for portable, rapid deployment surveillance cams - we'd love to hear from you

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 14, 2021

Can you contact me please. Looking for more info.

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 03, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Maybe you haven't heard of Skycop? That is who my local PD chose for their mobile surveillance systems. They have quite a few and will randomly place them around town where there are trouble spots.

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions