Subscriber Discussion

Help Me With This 'Port 80' Closed Error

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Apr 03, 2017

I have forwarded port 81 in my router.  When I used the port check tool it was showing as port 80 closed, so I had to disable the firewall.

How do I solve this problem?  As it is now, I am unable to view the cameras in my mobile.

Brian Rhodes
Apr 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The first thing to check is to see if Port 80 is, in fact, closed.

Can you reach the internet from behind this firewall?

UD
Apr 09, 2017

i am able to reach the internet behind firewall

JH
Jay Hobdy
Apr 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I am by far no expert but I believe we had some issues checking ports from a laptop/PC. We would forward a port to a NVR with a specific IP, but since the port was not forwarded to our laptop, it showed as closed. 

You may want to check that. Again, this is from memory.

What is the actual problem and what is happening? 

UD
Apr 04, 2017

when i had forwarded the ports its showing error as follows :

I could not see your service on port 81.

reason :connection timed out .

not only the port 81 .whatever ports i forward its showing the same error as could not see your service on port 

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 09, 2017

what is the network topology at this location? i.e. device(s) to router to modem?

If you are setting up port forwarding on a router, and none of the ports you've forwarded appear to be 'open' - quite possibly there is another routing device behind yours that is doing the NAT.

The easiest way to check is to run a tracert from a device on the same router as your DVR... if you see internal IPs in both the 1st and 2nd jump, then jump 2 is the NAT device that you need to set up your port forwarding on.

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 09, 2017

example:  tracert www.yahoo.com is the command I typed - which 'traces the route' to yahoo.com from my machine, showing all the routing devices the trace hits all the way to yahoo.com.

Notice that since I have only one router, the 1st jump is that router, while the 2nd jump is an external IP (indicating only one NAT device)

(1)
UD
Apr 10, 2017

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #3
Apr 10, 2017

The 10.x.x.x IP addresses are RFC-1918 reserved addresses similar to the 192.168.x.x range so you are more than likely dealing with a case where your firewall/router is located on a private network.  You may wish to ask the ISP if you can have your cable modem (or whatever connectivity device that you are using) be set to bridging mode so that your internal firewall (192.168.1.1) on your side will have an external or WAN IP address that is legal (not 10.x.x.x).  If they will not do that you may have to have them do network address translation (NAT) on their firewall (internal IP of 10.196.0.65) to forward traffic to your firewall/router.  Hope this helps.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions