Subscriber Discussion

Pool Gate Access Control Locks

JT
Jeffrey Tepper
Apr 24, 2018

Hello, I am looking for the best locking and REX device for pool gates. Any ideas?. Please and thank you.

Michael Silva
Apr 24, 2018
Silva Consultants

Jeffrey,

Please see my comments in a related thread concerning pool gates. To do this right, you really need to modify the gate to accommodate a standard lock set and electric strike and add a closer specifically designed for gates. The problem with a gate as short as the one in your photo is that people can easily reach the handle on the inside or simply hop over the gate.

In my opinion, your customer really needs to install a higher fence and gate if they really want to provide security around their pool. Spending a lot of money on access control when the fence is this short doesn't make much sense.

(5)
(2)
Brian Rhodes
Apr 24, 2018
IPVMU Certified

In addition, is the REX a requirement?  Or is it just that free-egress should be maintained?

JT
Jeffrey Tepper
Apr 24, 2018

Just require free egress. If we use a maglock, we will need some type of REX to kill power for egress.

Brian Rhodes
Apr 24, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I'd recommend against using a maglock. Example in: Diagnose This Gate Access Problem.

Surface corrosion (especially around humid and mildly corrosive pool chemicals) is a big problem that weakens the bond strength of maglocks over time.

And using a motion REX will be prone to false triggers, positioning issues, and tamper risk.

If you use a strike or some sort of latch retraction device it would make for better install in my opinion.

(2)
Kevin White
Apr 24, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Be sure to discuss with property risk and AHJ. They may have some requirements.

here is some pic's 

the reader is available from both sides for read in / read out OR you can use keypad to exit.

we had to tie to the emergency system at building (emergency button to release gate) and fire alarm (building) so emergency personnel could quickly gain access to the area. 

the second picture is the door/gate status contact

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 24, 2018

We have used this lock with approriate brackets when we had to do mag locks on gates

http://www.sdcsecurity.com/GL160-Gatelok-Electromechanical-Gate-Lock.htm

And this REX 

http://www.sdcsecurity.com/460-Vandal-Resistant-Exit-Switch.htm

Also there is an IP-65 rated REX button from Alarm Controls, the TS-14302 and the TS-12302

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Apr 24, 2018

I have used two techniques successfully for exterior swing gates.  The first design I employed was for Six Flags to secure the swing gates to rides to prevent accidents when kids rush the ride before it comes to a complete stop.  I used exterior grade maglocks by Securitron, outfitted with conduit nipples.  The locks were manually controlled by the ride operator, and therefore not the best choice for pool gates that require free egress, but as for durability, they held up very well.

The system I recommend is the GL-1 Gate Lock series, again by Securitron.  They can be used for swing and slider gates, have tolerances for mechanical sloppiness, and have free egress.  Easy to install with many mounting hardware options. 

(2)
(2)
JT
Jeffrey Tepper
Apr 24, 2018

Hello UM2,

Thanks for your input.

Is the egress function on the GL-1 electronic only?  I could not tell from the cut sheet.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Apr 25, 2018
The GL-1 uses electronic and key for egress, but you can add an exterior grade push button or electrified latch to ensure ease of use. You should also connect to the fire/sprinkler system to ensure free egress and entrance during alarm conditions.
Michael Silva
Apr 24, 2018
Silva Consultants

In my opinion the use of gate locks that require the user to press a REX button may be OK for commercial applications, but are not suitable for use in multifamily residential applications. People should be able to exit by turning a lever or pressing an exit device bar just like they do on other doors.

TM
Ty Mullen
Aug 25, 2018
COR Security, Inc.

In addition to egress issues, pool gates should never be fail safe, because of the risk of drownding. You never want a situation where you lose power, even blow a fuse, which causes a pool gate to be unsecure. This leaves a drownding risk. 

Pool gates are the only egress points where I have seen codes that allows you to chain them closed. Of course at that point no one should be in the pool area.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions