Subscriber Discussion

Polycarb Dome And Lens Port Cleaning And Dirt Protection

BD
Brian Dombrowski
Feb 19, 2017

I searched around, and found some old posts, but looking for a 2017 update as new tech and methods come about rapidly in this age.

I have cams in salt air environments.  They are high up and out of range of spray, but they can still get dirt and salty dew.   Storms moving through can help clean them, but not completely.  I want to know two things related to keeping lens ports and domes clean for outdoor IP cameras.  

1)  What solutions do people use to clean them? ( obviously ammonia is out for plastic ports and domes.)

2)  Are there any sprays that can be applied to sheet water for some extended time after they dry?   (Rain-X doesn't sheet.  It beads.  Beads are bad for camera ports.)

Thanks,

Brian

MC
Marty Calhoun
Feb 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I have recently applied the Rainbrella (wax like substance) to a [100] or so IP cameras as a test for the product. It seems to be working well as we look back at video in rain storms video is clear and afterwards clear as a bell. No sure if that helps your situation, just saying.....

(2)
BD
Brian Dombrowski
Feb 19, 2017

Thanks for the reply Marty.  That's interesting.  You say "recently."   How long have you been testing?  Are you testing specifically on acrylic domes in your case?

My skepticism with a beading type product vs sheeting is that it could leave a water bead that dries and leaves a dirt/salt deposit.   Also, I found this so wondering what the long term effect on plastic might be...

FWIW...

Application guide:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71xJ8HJystL.pdf

"SURFACE PREPARATION
Rainbrella is to be used on exterior glass surfaces only. For best
results, clean the glass surface with a glass cleaner to remove
any contaminates from the surface. Follow the cleaner
instructions for best results. RainBrella is not recommended for
plastic surfaces."

Thank you.

Brian

MC
Marty Calhoun
Feb 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The first cameras we treated were of the mini dome variety, we applied it to them on a sunny day over 75 degrees. We removed the first run and applied a second coat as per the instructions. That was [3-4] months ago. Since we have experienced several snow and rain storms (all cameras are outside and in direct contact with the elements) and all cameras are clear as the day they were purchased. We specifically look at the video during storm conditions and have found the video to be clear and no where near as obscured as the remaining cameras in the same elements on the same building with no treatment. 

I get the 'glass or plastic' issue. Its a non issue for us.

(2)
Tony Darland
Nov 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Did you end up using the Rainbrella, Brian? If so, what are your thoughts?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions