Police Disconnect Homeowner's Security Cameras, Causing Uproar

Rob Kilpatrick
Jan 19, 2018
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

A rare and (likely) illegal in the U.S. occurrence, but when it happens, causes a commotion. From searching online, this seems to be quite uncommon. This particular story made it to the front page of Reddit.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jan 19, 2018

one question, how BAD was the install if the officer was able to just reach up and disable the camera?  I bet the BNC was exposed, just like your local (in)convenience store's DIY install... 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Except that the homeowner says the cameras were out of commission for a week after the Vulcan Nerve Pinch.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 19, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

This is property destruction IMO. Make the city pay for the repairs. While you are at it, get some more vandal resistant cameras.

(1)
Brandon Knutson
Jan 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Police Chief said the department would have paid for the camera repairs, but it appears the guy went to the media instead.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 19, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

So because he told his story and outted the cops they won’t pay for their damages now?

(1)
Brandon Knutson
Jan 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

That I don't know. Guy probably fixed the cameras himself and didn't contact the city, but instead called the media.

IMHO it's kind of a meaningless story likely meant to irritate citizens against the police (seems common these days). I do think the cops should have contacted the guy once they realized he wasn't the guy with the warrant.

RS
Robert Shih
Jan 19, 2018
Independent

What sucks more is, quite often, property damage claims against police are completely ignored and ruled in favor of the officers, even in the event of mistakes.

The overall attitude of officers like those in the video are that they are above respecting the rights and property of civilians and regular citizens.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jan 20, 2018

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions