Subscriber Discussion

Police Department Interrogation Room Audio / Video Solution.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Oct 10, 2016

What would you suggest for an easy to use solution for an interrogation room? They require a simple push button start/stop mechanism for audio and video. All the cameras are covert. 

My fear is that any run-of-the-mill VMS will not work well due to possible sync issues.

RS
Robert Shih
Oct 10, 2016
Independent

First, why covert? I would assume that most people brought in there already have the assumption that they are being recorded. If they want quality testimony and analysis of subject behavior and facial signs, high quality cameras will be preferable to hidden options.

At best, you should try recessed mount IK10 motorized zoom varifocal cameras (so you can zoom in and out depending on if you want to focus on the subjects full body or their facial expressions, or if he moves a bit) pointed directly at the subject's face from above and the sides at an angle. I would be opposed to pinhole cameras except as backups.

I like an IPC-HDBW5421E-Z with a nice mic for you.

If you want something separate to record with I recommend an NVR with an IR remote. They have a record button that will do the trick.

NVR4208-8P-4K with optional front panel.

(1)
UD
Oct 11, 2016

They want covert. What can I say?

Thanks for the recommendation.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Nov 27, 2017

Most people that are brought into an interrogation room have no idea that everything is being recorded, nor do the police want them believing that. Suspects are left alone in interrogation rooms frequently in the hopes they say something that they believe is just to themselves which ends up incriminating them.

Overt cameras also make it far more difficult to extract confessions "man to man" when they decide to play good cop. "Hey bud, I get what you're going through, look just between you and me what went down last night? It's just us in here right?"

Never underestimate the dissuasive power of the lens.

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Most people that are brought into an interrogation room have no idea that everything is being recorded...

So for the few perps that might know better, maybe install a semi-concealed red illuminated button, wired only for power, that the good cop could switch off just for effect, while saying “There.  Now tell me what really went down last night...”

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 11, 2016

We have installed numerous police department interview rooms using Avigilon VMS/cameras with EST, Shure or Louroe for mics. Some PDs want covert (Hikvision or Axis) others want multiple angles with a mic they can unplug and move it around or even PTZ cameras. The systems have been setup to record with these options: continuous video only recording when button 1 is pressed and video & audio continuous recording when button 2 is pressed. Some of these systems have been running for years without issues and we have no customer complaints from audio sync issues. PRO TIP: 720P is more then enough resolution with the right lens.

(1)
RS
Robert Shih
Oct 11, 2016
Independent

I was more thinking about a bit more quality for more facial expression studies and behavioral analysis. But hey, you have the experience.

Edit: You know, I'll plead guilty to watching too many procedural dramas.

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 11, 2016

With the right LENS you get more than enough detail for facial and bahavioral analysis. One thing to remember is your customer has to export and archive all the interview room video. Some of these interviews last hours and need to be exported and stored as evidence. Using multiple 2MP+ cameras creates a lot of data that is a challenge for PDs to manage with some of our customers make 3 copyies of all DVDs they export.

(1)
(1)
FN
Frank Nelles
Oct 11, 2016

Michael the AVfusion software allows the user to quickly launch recording sessions, catalog them with data and video tags inserted on the fly while recording, search recorded files for specific content and retrieve recordings -- all from any secure desktop, officers can remotely view interviews live, over the network. Files are stored on a secure server and when sharing across agencies is required, MP4file format can be viewed using standard media players.

Trusted Louroe audio products are also embedded in this system.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 11, 2016

Frank I understand your product is specific to interview room recording. We have done basically the same with Avigilon which they can document and search the interview rooms via the bookmark feature from any secure client on the network. From my experience, customers are not just keeping a copy on the server. They are exporting the video on a medium that can't be tampered with which they then store as evidence. Each PD has their own process from what I have seen.

To add I am using Avigilon as my VMS example because we have used it the most but we have also had audio recording success with Exacq and Genetec.

(1)
RS
Robert Shih
Oct 11, 2016
Independent

Ooh, still learning lots here. I guess getting the recording first and then processing it won't fly either.

Hmm...alright so yeah, I will defer to the experience in the room and observe.

(1)
Dennis Eaton
Nov 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Audio quality is far more important than video in criminal interrogations. There can be some analysis of that sort occurring in high-level interviews if a team of detectives is watching remotely and taking notes to coach the interviewer. Most video will be played in court proceedings to assist the jury, so HDTV quality isn’t necessarily that important. What the interviewer and the suspect says, however, is extremely important. 

(2)
FN
Frank Nelles
Oct 11, 2016

There is a stand alone system package manufactured specifically for this application and others such as health care- called AV fusion which sync's the audio and video much like that used in television broadcast. the bundle includes a minimum of two HD cameras including an optional PTZ, bi directional audio equipment,recording and playback, an NVR loaded with software, and server with 30 days storage. They offer a 30 day proof of concept for the returnable bundle. For a 5 minute overview visit www.ipvideocorp.com, click on solutions > AVfusion >law enforcement. They also offer 30 min webinars.

RS
Robert Shih
Oct 11, 2016
Independent

Sounds like a thread merge is in order here?

UD
Oct 11, 2016

Anixter recommends the Axis F44 encoder and several covert cameras. Not sure if this solution is really sufficient for this scenario. Not sure if the software has the push button feature for on/off audio/video recording.

Cameron Javdani
Oct 11, 2016
Louroe Electronics

Louroe guy here.

We make a kit designed for this type of requirement called the ASK-4#631. Product details can be found here. It includes a switch to toggle audio on/off.

Regarding VMS integration, typically you'll connect a mic to the audio input of the IP camera and the camera will manage the sync of the audio and video. If your camera works well with the VMS there shouldn't be any issues.

(1)
RS
Robert Shih
Oct 11, 2016
Independent

Oooh, very nice. My manager Peter told me about your products. Definitely a catalog I should study.

Frank Jacovino
Oct 11, 2016

DISCLOSURE – AVfusion Manufacturer

For this application I would make sure that the system selected is easy to use, utilizes high resolution cameras for examination of details later, and insures that the audio and video are synched over extended periods. Some systems tend to synch at the beginning and then let the audio and video drift. We have seen typical recordings that over time, create an increasing lag between audio and video streams, making the video's authenticity hard to defend when presented in a court of law. An IP system MUST solve the problem of audio and video synchronization.

The start/stop button is also an important feature of an interview recording system. The button needs to be easily available to the interrogators to start and stop the interview as required. The persons conducting the interviews may also wish to book mark the recordings at important points of the interview to facilitate and efficient playback experience. Intelligent start/stop buttons are IP based and can include a radio transceiver that connects to a wireless key fob used to insert video bookmarks, which then can be annotated with comments later.

The Axis F41 IP unit is a great solution for a high resolution covert camera.

(1)
KJ
Kenny Johnson
Nov 14, 2017

Hard to believe there is no turn key solution for this.

Something easy to use... with high quality... and high reliability.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Nov 15, 2017

google "interview room system" Few options will pop up.

FN
Frank Nelles
Nov 15, 2017

Frank Nelles

Communications Components / HallTelecommunications

The IP video, AVfusion system is a turnkey solution

Dennis Eaton
Nov 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Just a few additional thoughts from an investigator’s perspective:

-make sure the VMS is very easy to use because many interviews are conducted by officers who sporadically use the system and need help burning discs. 

-in high-volume detective bureaus such as those at the county jail, it becomes burdensome for a detective to continually stop what they are doing to burn discs for visiting detectives. 

-as stated before, make sure audio and video sync properly 

-certain portions of interrogations MUST be redacted for court, so an option for AVI is very helpful, but cannot be the primary recording method

-key-based on/off switches outside interview rooms are common, and ensure that you have started recording and nobody can shut the system off if the key is in your pocket. 

-detectives frequently don’t back up important interviews and secondary storage media is frequently lost as it makes its way through the system, so more storage is better. 

(2)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions