Subscriber Discussion

Point To Point Wireless Video Surveillance System

EDWARD STOESSEL
Feb 08, 2018

I wanted to know what type of enclosures I should use on the top of light poles for a job I'm Proposing to do. Its for License Plate Recognition IP Cameras with Point to Point Wireless. There will be a POE Switch and a Transformer from the Electric on the Light Pole. Should I put the Transformer in its own Vented Enclosure due to Heat issues? I'm also not sure what type of enclosure to use for the POE Switch and Injectors? The weather doesn't get much below freezing in the winter but can get up to 110 degrees in the summer. The application is in Northern California. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You,

Ed

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 09, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

We use L-Com boxes for our installs. Their fiber reinforced AC powered NEMA enclosures have worked well for us for the past 6 years. We have also used Bud Industries for metallic boxes when needed.

(2)
(5)
EDWARD STOESSEL
Feb 09, 2018

Thank You 

I appreciate your help. Are any of these boxes vented? If not Have you had any problems with switches overheating?

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 09, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

They have vented, active cooled, heated, just about any option you want. We simply use the sealed ones, because here in northern Ohio, it doesn’t get that hot. If I were in the southern states, I would go for active cooled units. 

(3)
(1)
Armando Perez
Feb 09, 2018
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

Second nod to Lcom. Great boxes with built in power options. Vented can help, however I've got a few out with no vents that have not had any notable failures.

(2)
(3)
EDWARD STOESSEL
Feb 09, 2018

Thank You Guys

I am looking at them now and they seem great. I really appreciate your help.

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 09, 2018

i am using a PoE injector with an IP67 rated housing that is killing L-com. It's a game changer. Up to 120W UL rated injector, and working on installing on poles for over 10,000 LED street lights (some with integrated cameras) in a smart city application. Pricing is way less than L-com and it's not even a question a better product. How nobody knows these guys is beyond me. They have the standard UL rated 30/60/90W integrated IP67 housings too. 

I'm not sure if I'm ready to disclose who is making these, but I switched from L-com a few months ago and won't be going back...

(4)
Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 09, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

That’s great if all you need is one output. We generally need more than a simple injector. Our typical L-Com enclosure holds an 8 Port Unifi PoE Switch. This also gives us room for an optional UPS as well, if the client desires. The L-Com box also has integrated lightning protection on the AC circuit. At $250 per box, it’s a decent value. 

(3)
(3)
David Warren
Feb 09, 2018
Security Network Advisors LLC

Hey John,

I'll just give you the name of these guys...Procet PoE. They have multiple options for injectors, and also integrated PoE switches in their boxes. I really like how they have the units ready to go out of the box and can use a 240VAC if needed. You should take a look. They are on their Chinese New Year break, but I grabbed some of their new units to play around with. Only downside...they don't have the room to add a UPS backup, but they say it's coming. 

Armando Perez
Feb 09, 2018
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

"I have this very special thing. I don't know why nobody else knows about it, but I'm not going to tell anyone what it is."

Sorry, but why post then?

So far, Jon and I are on the same page with apparently the same solution to similar problems.

(5)
(3)
Scott Bradford
Feb 09, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Ed, what POE switch are you using?   If you're using something industrial rated, then temp shouldn't be an issue. I've used www.interlogix.com in the past for many industrial applications. They are DIN rail mounted, and we commonly put them in L-com boxes, though sealed.  We were more concerned with humidity and moisture than cooling with those things. 

Also, Altronix Netway4 box is a pretty neat item. It's got a 4 port POE switch with SFP port already premade in an enclosure.   They also sell pole mount brackets for them. (L-com.com also has pole mount kits for their enclosures, which I highly recommend)

What are you using for the wireless? One of my big gripes and challenges is the lack of wireless access points that use TRUE POE. As you will discover, wiring up all the power supplies without that, inside an enclosure, is a pain in the rear.  The Altronix box has room for a battery back up, so that's where we put the power supply bricks from the UBNT radios we were using.   Yes,  UBNT does make a handful of wireless access points with true POE input, but they were very expensive comparatively.  I found an Engenious model on Amazon that used true POE input. 

I'm also curious about your power input situation. I've been told that light poles are 277v to 480v.  You have a step down tap to get it to 120v?   Also, are you sure your poles have their own power directly to them, and aren't on a system loop with a timer back at the building?

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 09, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

Just use a UBNT Instant PoE Adapter to step down 48VDC to 24VDC if you aren’t using a UBNT Switch. 

(1)
Scott Bradford
Feb 09, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I am aware of the UBNT POE converter products. I'd use them if I HAD to, but my former company was very reluctant to stack more parts than needed on top of each other. We also had several bad experiences with UBNT, so the ops manager was very reluctant to use them anyway. I don't disagree with them in principle. Why use a POE power converter and add one more point of failure and possible introduction of moisture when you could just buy another brand that was true POE input to begin with?  I can see both sides. Just a preference I suppose. 

(1)
(1)
EDWARD STOESSEL
Feb 09, 2018

Hi Scott 

My project is a big community about 3 square miles. There are 7 entrances in and out of the building. I am installing 4 Cameras at each entrance on the street light poles. Two 8 MP IP Cameras for Overview and Two 2 MP License Plate Capture Cameras.  I have used UBNT on smaller jobs in the past, but I am looking into using Proxim Wireless Tsunami Licensed Frequencies on this job. We still need to test our line of sites and make sure everything is going to work from our desired locations. The terrain has lots of hills and trees, so we will need to add some extra hops possibly. I want something that will be very reliable for my clients. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks 

About the boxes, It gets very hot where I'm located. Its not uncommon to have 105 to 110 degrees for a few months in the summer.  Should I be more concerned with the heat or the moisture and humidity?

I haven't picked out what poe switches to use yet. The street poles have sensors but we will be using a step down transformer and be confirming that the poles electrical is always hot. 

(1)
Scott Bradford
Feb 09, 2018
IPVMU Certified

IFS Industrial Gigabit Managed Switches

NS3550-8T-2S JPEG  is the model we used.  It's rated up to 75C which is 167F.  That's pretty good.

The power supply that they sell for them should be rated similarly, it should also be able to take at least 200v input 

I'd say generally be more worried about heat (which is why I'd suggest an industrial switch) than moisture. You could do a sealed box and not worry about the water or the heat. If you use an Lcom fiberglass box, it won't absorb as much heat as a metal one will. 

If you ever get into an extreme situation, there is a company called APX that makes stainless steel enclosures. They also have a version that is ceramic coating for heat resistance but are still sealed.  (we used them at waste water treatment plants). They are NOT cheap, but they make them very large (like 48" x 48")

(1)
(2)
EDWARD STOESSEL
Feb 09, 2018

What brand of point to point do you usually use in these type of applications? Is proxim wireless a good product?

CR
Chad Rohde
Feb 10, 2018

What brand of point to point do you usually use in these type of applications?

Mikrotik

Is proxim wireless a good product?

They have been around for a long time and well respected in the wireless industry. 

I don't know how much they cost now, but they have always been a little pricey for what you get in my opinion. But I haven't looked at them in years.

There are many different wireless equipment makers out there which would work for your installation. Doing an extensive site survey at each wireless location to determine signal strengths, interference, and obstructions is more important than who makes the equipment. 

Obviously some makers are better than others, but they all have limitations. Sometimes the site surveying will take more time than the actual installation. And you could run path analysis software from every vendor, but don't use that to determine the specifics of your installation.

(1)
David Warren
Feb 09, 2018
Security Network Advisors LLC

Ligowave Wireless. They claim they are optimized for video streaming and in the same general price range of Ubiquiti. They have support and designer guys in the USA which is nice too.

They have a bridge kit that is preconfigured for $200 (Street price). Gigabit (900Mbps I think) and their more industrial units have a switch built in to them. Basically no config needed aside from applying your security/SSID. Product comes pre-set and labeled and has a cloud backbone. 

Keep an eye on this company as they will likely find their way in most major distributors within months. They also have a nice try and buy program where they give you a one time chance to buy at their cost. 

They just hired a bunch of manufacturer reps across the US, so a company to watch. I'll report back on the stability when I get my try-and-buy unit next week if anyone is interested.

(1)
(5)
CR
Chad Rohde
Feb 10, 2018

Keep an eye on this company as they will likely find their way in most major distributors within months. They also have a nice try and buy program where they give you a one time chance to buy at their cost.

I don't know much about Ligowave, but Deliberant is the company they merged with. Deliberant has been around a long time. They have always been US based and in many distributors.

(1)
(1)
BP
Bill Parker
Feb 12, 2018
American Integrated Security Group, Inc.

First you need to determine the pole's wind loading specifications before considering the hardware to be installed. Once you know the spec then you'll need to compute if there is adequate excess loading available on the pole for the new hardware. Generally it's not a good idea to mount enclosures at the tower or pole top due to having a negative impact on the horizontal thrust during a micro-burst and sudden high wind gusts. You could be held libel for replacing the pole, lighting system, and cameras if this due diligence is not performed. Suggest contacting the lighting pole manufacturer because they may have an engineer that could assist with the making this determination.

(1)
(1)
Chris Anderson
Feb 13, 2018

Outdoor deployments, which are standalone in nature like this can be challenging and complex due to the amount of moving parts and factors involved.  Based on your initial questions here are my thoughts:

In terms of co-locating equipment you should be good to put everything into a single box, just make sure your solution is adequate (as you have inquired about) to deal with the environmental conditions.

A consideration is not just the MFR of the enclosure but the IP/NEMA rating being adequate.  Also you should make sure a robust material is used for long term reliability of the box itself, I would only recommend Fiberglass or Metal

Heat will be your biggest challenge and no matter the solution.  It will affect you in a couple of different ways that you'll want to factor into your design:

- Solar loading I have experienced, and would recommend you expect anywhere between a +15F to +40F delta increase in the internal box temperature no matter what you do.  This range will vary based on the cooling design, temperature, spurious internal heat emission, material and color of enclosure.

- Lowering overall lifespan of internal components. This means you should watch out for long term warranty obligations and etc - considering there isn't a whole lot you can do to avoid this.  (Unless you overkill it with a very expensive/heavy/power hungry actively cooled solution)

- Derating your power system.  Any time you get high PoE budgets you'll need a sizable power budget.  This gets especially compounded in hot conditions where power supplies can derate up to 50% of the stated load capacity in temperatures that get to the levels you talk about.  So most importantly I'd plan on doubling the power transformer unit based on what you calculate requirements to be.

Also - I've always designed some type of self healing feature or remote reset/monitoring capability into systems like this.  Whether that be a ping watchdog function on the switching/wireless equipment, configuration of the camera or a standalone relay device - it's much, much cheaper than a truck roll for maintenance.

Good Luck

Chris

(4)
EDWARD STOESSEL
Feb 13, 2018

Thank You for your input and helpful information.

CR
Chad Rohde
Feb 13, 2018

Mr. Stoessel, will you be updating us on equipment choices and performance after installation?

EDWARD STOESSEL
Feb 16, 2018

Yes Sir

RD
Roman Dabrowski
Apr 13, 2018

If you need something custom,  Broadsite may have something they have built for other solutions like this or can design something custom for you. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions