Subscriber Discussion

Wireless Cameras In A Parking Lot - What To Use?

JE
Jim Elder
Mar 20, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I have a number of locations in parking lots that require an RF link back to the building. Transmitters will be located on existing light poles with the recievers on building roofs. Ranges vary from 200' to 700' Line-of-sight. I have some locations where point-to-point will be needed; and at two locations, multipoint-to-point may be the solution. Since there is only one camera per transmitter, the bandwidh needed is pretty small.

So what manufacturers have worked for you? What price ranges are we talking about?

Jeffrey Hinckley
Mar 20, 2015

Nano station m. List price is 89 dollars per radio. Can use in access point or station mode. Can operate in point to point or multipoint mode (we normally setup in transparent mode with radio access control lists). The dual Ethernet interfaces are great for repeaters or dual camera sites.

(3)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 20, 2015
IPVM

Ubiquiti is statistically the most common in this use case. Beware, Ubiquiti does not provide the personal / direct support that typical manufacturers do, so while you get the extremely low price you won't get hand holding. Fluidmesh is a common alternative for those who want that at the ~500 price point per radio (see Fluidmesh Ponte).

Background for options: Favorite Wireless Video Surveillance 2014

(3)
SM
Steve Mitchell
Mar 20, 2015

A caveat to John's caveat about Ubiquiti is, even though the support may be lacking, the quality (in terms of reliability) tends to be high. Many are willing to take the risk with them, and they remain popular in spite of the lack of direct support. Given high popularity, you're more likely to find unofficial support within the community--of course no guarantees.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 20, 2015
IPVM

I agree about their reliability and the integrator results I cited above certainly shows that.

I just wanted to contrast the options on both sides of the spectrum.

(1)
HD
Howard Dame
Mar 20, 2015

+1 for Ubiquiti.

(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Mar 20, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I will check out both. Any experience with Trango?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 21, 2015
IPVM

Trango was fairly popular in the past decade, but I rarely hear anyone use them in new deployments.

It seems that their product portfolio has changed since back then when they had analog wireless products. Now, Trango's video surveillance recommended offerings seem overkill for PTP or simple PTMP links.

JG
John Grocke
Mar 20, 2015

I've used the Comnet models recently and they seem to work pretty well. I've never had long-term success with Ubiquiti.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 21, 2015

John can you elaborate?

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 22, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

We have multiple Ubiquiti NanoStation LOCO M deployments that have NEVER needed a single service call. Some of these have been in service nearly three years now without a single incident. In fact the only single issue I have had with Ubiquiti PtP systems was when I mistakenly fed a radio 48v PoE. After bypassing the blown fuse, that radio is still in service working just fine. We bought a spare radio to replace it in case it went down, but after sitting on a shelf for over a year, we used that spare on another project.

I don't have any experience using other brands to contrast against Ubiquiti, but maybe that can be taken as another positive for Ubiquiti, since I've never had a need to look elsewhere.

BM
Ben Molloy
Mar 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Ubiquiti for 900MHz (Non-LOS), but Engenius for 2.4GHz (LOS).

We have multiple installs (less than 50) running these brands with little to no issues.

AD
Andrew DeMattos
Mar 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

We utilize Ubiquiti as well. We have a history with all the others...KBC, FluidMesh etc. Technicians pre-programming at office helps resolve some of the support issues.

JA
Jorge Arriaga
Mar 22, 2015

I would definetely go with ubiquity. nanostation loco m2 or m5 is fine. you can use abullet antenna or rocket with an omni dependong on your needs. you canconnecta around 30 cameras on my experience to a bullet or 50 to a rocket

UI
Mar 22, 2015

Check out www.doubleradius.com These guys offer a 2 day training in Indian Trail, NC. The course is geared to WISP community and has been the best $1000.00 I have spent. I used Ubiquiti 2 years prior to training with success. My Ubiquiti networks are now more stable, perform at high capacities and now with more reliability. If you're experiencing Ubiquiti failures you need to use shielded cat6 with the grounding rg45 connectors. It solved my issues I have been mounting radios on watertanks and towers and they have sustained direct lightning hits on the structures without failures. Why Ubiquti? It's cheap, it works, it lasts, and if it fails? Its Cheap! Sell a network equipment warranty more RMR! And no I do not work for Double Radius. My Rep is Benton he rocks and sells me my Cambium as well.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 23, 2015

Could you please tell the exact name of the course you attended? Thanks!

UI
Mar 23, 2015

"Airmax training" Ubiquiti approved training with certification.

JE
Jim Elder
Mar 24, 2015
IPVMU Certified

How or do you use lighting protection?

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 24, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

We make sure that we mount our cameras below the level of the lights to avoid any issues.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 24, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Smart.

What about lightning protection?

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 24, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

We have yet to install lightning protection.

Jeffrey Hinckley
Mar 24, 2015

From my experience, lightning protection, which includes the hardware and grounding cable, is more expensive than a nsm5-us. In many cases, both the surge and radio blow. Compared to other solutions (coax, twisted pair, copper) with protection between locations with different ground potential, fiber and wireless sites suffer rare blowouts. I have had few radio sight failures, except a couple tower sites with direct lightning strikes. In the old microwave days, with waveguide, radios would have survived. Running power over Ethernet or heads with coax and if frequencies always lose with lightning strikes.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions