Subscriber Discussion

POE IR For License Plate Capture

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 12, 2016

This is a gated community that would like license plates... I'm looking at the Mobotix LPF sensor but need a POE IR. Any recommendations?  Thanks.

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 12, 2016

Raytec has POE powered IR units that work well

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 12, 2016
IPVM

There are many purpose built LPC cameras with IR built-in. Unless you want / have to do all Mobotix, that would strike me as a safer, lower risk, lower install cost approach.

e.g., Testing Messoa 3MP LPC Camera, Testing Geovision MP License Plate Camera

UI
Oct 12, 2016

Michael, thanks... will look into Raytec.

John, they are very concerned about the aesthetics and I was thinking of using the halo mounts for the install.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 12, 2016
IPVM

Make sure to add in enough time / money to optimize it on site, if you are going to go with a Mobotix plus an external IR illuminator, because it almost certainly is going to take longer and increase risk that way versus any of them numerous purpose built lpc cameras.

(3)
UI
Oct 12, 2016

Thanks John!

DH
Dirk Hedlund
Oct 13, 2016

Go with one of the Ray Tec PoE IR illuminators (they have excellent customer support as well). We've done plenty of installations in gated communities using Mobotix & Ray Tec. If you don't go PoE make sure to buy the appropriate power supply unit. Hope this helps.

UI
Oct 13, 2016

Thanks Dirk... will be my first time with this particular set up. In addition, we're having to trench to bring power to the gate for the cameras and other future items.

I'm looking at the Vario4-IP to do the job. May reach out to you at a later time if I run into a problem if that's okay. I believe John is good at email introductions.

Thanks again!

DH
Dirk Hedlund
Oct 14, 2016

I typically use the Vario4 in that application, remember to remove the diffuser (only played around with the PoE model at this past ASIS). Mobotix LPF + RayTec will murder a tag when it's set up correctly. Settings take some getting used to camera wise but feel free to reach out. Our customers love the tag capture and context shot in a single camera form factor.

Have a good one!

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 14, 2016

For the context shot are you using the B/W or color sensor?

Jeffrey Hinckley
Oct 14, 2016

Only problem I had with the Raytec POE (cant remember which model) was that it would not negotiate POE from our switch. Had to use a midspan. Real bummer since I lost control of power to the IR (on, off, reboot, power monitor) remotely from the managed switch, which I like to do for all devices.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions