Subscriber Discussion

Poe+ Injector With 24VAC/12VDC Input

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jan 29, 2015

I noticed that many high end IP cameras are PoE only. We have a project that only 24VAC power is available at the camera location.

Did you have this issue before? can you suggest a solution?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 29, 2015
IPVM

There are over 300 IP cameras that only support PoE power. Typically, those cameras are lower end or budget lines as the manufacturer is looking to reduce costs.

Most cameras still support low voltage power. Here is a list of 1400+ of them, which you can then filter down more based on other requirements (form factor, resolution, manufacturer, etc.)

(2)
UM
Jan 29, 2015

Thank you John. maybe i should not mention Axis instead of "high end"... :)

I see many of the Axis cameras are PoE only as well. Just wondering if it is a trend that more and more manufactures would take the approach.

Mike Dotson
Jan 29, 2015
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

google search of POE PSE DC yields many choices...most are 48V-53V DC.

However, this one looked promising (no affiliation)...industrial Powered POE PSE

UM
Jan 29, 2015

Mike, this is a good one. Thanks for the info.

Ethan Ace
Jan 29, 2015

I've noticed that quite a few of PTZs are now PoE only, which is a strange decision on a typically $2,000 camera.

The Altronix NetWay1X is 24VAC input, 802.3af/at out.

UM
Jan 29, 2015

Thanks for the link to the altronics product. I noticed that the working temperature might not allow it to be installed in an outdoor enviroment. (I should have mentioned it.)

I don't understand why manufactures are creating this trouble besides reducing cost.

Ari Erenthal
Jan 29, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I can't think of any that use 24VAC, but there are two that I know of that use 12VDC.

First is the Microsemi PD-5501G/12-24VDC. It requires a ton of amperage, though, 3.8A.

The second option is the Veracity CamSwitch Mobile, which requires a more reasonable 2.5A @ 12VDC. It's not cheap, though, so only use it when you have no choice.

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Jan 29, 2015
IPVMU Certified

This one, from MSTronic, has 24VAC input and af output,

• Operating temperature: -25 to 60 degree Celsius
  • Storage temperature: -40 to 85 degree Celsius
  • Operating humidity: 5 to 90% 

Curiously it looks similar to ones from Tycon Power, a brand I can recommend first hand, but Tycon doesn't seem to have an 24VAC input model.  I have no experience with MSTronic however.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 29, 2015

I've had good luck with these:

DC to DC Power over Ethernet | Injector Adapter | 48VDC PoE Out

(You'll need a 24VAC to 24VDC or 12VDC convertor though, those are easy to find).

(1)
Ethan Ace
Jan 29, 2015

Thanks, Undisclosed. I was trying to think of that site and couldn't remember it for the life of me.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 29, 2015

Really "Air802" isn't a catchy name that sticks in your head for PoE products? ;)

TC
Tango Charlie
Jan 30, 2015

We had a similar situation.

A historic building with approx 100 cams, and nothing documented.

It took a lot of hours to properly find and document everything. We settled on a camera line with 12VDC input. Where possible we installed POE switches to replace the 24VAC.

The remainder we swapped out the 24VAC power supplies for 12VDC.

Can you not just swap out the power supplies for POE?

As an aside I located a vault room which wasn't shown on their plans - one of the old guys knew it was there but had kind of forgotten it, reckoned I was probalby the first one in their in 40 odd years.

Alternatively something like this?

http://www.altronix.com/products/data_sheets/DSNETWAY1P.pdf

TC
Tango Charlie
Jan 30, 2015

We had a similar situation.

A historic building with approx 100 cams, and nothing documented.

It took a lot of hours to properly find and document everything. We settled on a camera line with 12VDC input. Where possible we installed POE switches to replace the 24VAC.

The remainder we swapped out the 24VAC power supplies for 12VDC.

Can you not just swap out the power supplies for POE?

As an aside I located a vault room which wasn't shown on their plans - one of the old guys knew it was there but had kind of forgotten it, reckoned I was probalby the first one in their in 40 odd years.

Alternatively something like this?

http://www.altronix.com/products/data_sheets/DSNETWAY1P.pdf

TC
Tango Charlie
Jan 30, 2015
U
Undisclosed #3
Jan 30, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Thanks for the link to the altronics product. I noticed that the working temperature might not allow it to be installed in an outdoor enviroment. (I should have mentioned it.)

Lifesaftey product is also rated for indoor use only, 0 to 49 C.

U
Undisclosed
Feb 23, 2015

Altronix Netway would be the solution to inject PoE or convert PoE.

U
Undisclosed #3
Feb 23, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Even outdoors?

MI
Matt Ion
Feb 23, 2015

Keep in mind that if this is all in an environmental housing (which hopefully it is, if the camera is outdoors in those temperatures), that all the electronics in there will be giving off plenty of heat, and should all stay comfortable in there. Better yet if it's a heater/blower housing.

BTW, I notice a number of cameras that you might put inside such a housing, have similar operating temperature ranges...

U
Undisclosed #3
Feb 23, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Yes, I think that's a valid argument to make, and depending on how cozy everything is in the enclosure, likely to make the ambient temperature over 0.

Though at the same time, 0 to 40/49 is a pretty narrow range, certainly for cameras. I would estimate that at least 95% of cameras have a lower or higher temp limit. -10 is pretty standard, no?

I raised the issue only because Ethan had suggested the Altronix unit right off the bat, but the OP was hesitant due to the environmental specs. I think what Adam just posted would be of help to him.

U
Undisclosed
Feb 23, 2015

See the Netway1DWPM for outdoor, or use an outdoor enclosure. There is also the eBridge200WPM, depending on the application.

Adam Belkowitz

Somerville Security Associates

Altronix reps for CA, NV, AZ, HI

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions