Subscriber Discussion

POE Covert Ip Camera Request For Drop Ceiling

LJ
Leszek James
Jun 29, 2015

We are well aware of all the pinhole cameras on the market. We are looking for something that can be hidden in a smoke detector or other device so that the camera is hidden in a drop ceiling. Camera must be POE

MM
Michael Miller
Jun 29, 2015

We have used the Hikvision and Axis pin hole cameras for this. Customer doesn't want to use life safety devices as they get inspected and would get discovered. We are now using ceiling mount access points and occupancy sensors to mount the cameras in them. I also just orderd the fisheye head for the Axis F series camera so we can try to mount that into something and hide it as it would make placing the cameras a lot easier using the fisheye lens.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 29, 2015

Links below:

Hikvison covert cameras

Axis covert cameras

Phylink pinhole camera

The selection isn't quite as good as the analog covert cameras were. There is a lot of generic branded items turning up in a Google search but I would be wary.

LJ
Leszek James
Jun 30, 2015

Thanks, the issue isn't the pinhole camera or what brand, it is how to hide it in a drop ceiling since there will still be a hole even if we drill it as fine as possilbe

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jun 30, 2015

This is an unnamed Chinese one I've been testing for a project. I don't care for the software interface, but it's really not bad for the price. The site looks sketchy, but I have actually received my orders so far.

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/Full-HD-1080P-Network-Board-Camera-3-Mega-170deg-Wide-Angle-IR%252dCUT-%252dUS.html

I don't know if this will help, but we're using it for a class on discrete IP surveillance. For the basics, it's been OK so far.

LJ
Leszek James
Jun 30, 2015

Thanks, the issue isn't the pinhole camera or what brand, it is how to hide it in a drop ceiling since there will still be a hole even if we drill it as fine as possilbe

Brian Rhodes
Jun 30, 2015
IPVMU Certified

The recommendation to stick the image unit in an occupancy sensor body is a good one. Those essentially have a diffuser body you can drill a hole or mount the body to peer out a louver or vent hole.

It's also good because there is no real 'typical' location for an occupancy sensor. They are mounted where they can easily detect occupancy, which coincides with video coverage.

Smoke detectors or even intrusion PIRs may look awkward if mounted in the open or certain points on a ceiling... almost like the are hiding something.

You may need to mount the sending unit/main camera body above the sensor on a tile. Before that's a dealbreaker for indiscreteness, remember you have to run cables to this unit anyway.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions