Subscriber Discussion

Is An AMD FX-8350 8-Core Processor 4ghz Capable Of Handling This System?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 25, 2017

Good day, I am asking if AMD FX-8350 8-core processor 4GHz is capable of handling the system in the following:

16 channel 

7 cameras-5MP

9 cameras-2MP

Mainstream: 1920x1080, CBR, 2Mbps, 15fps, H.264

Substream: 320x240, CBR, 512 Kbps, 15fps, H.264

Josh Hendricks
May 25, 2017
Milestone Systems

It has a passmark of ~8900 which puts it slightly above some i5's for comparison.

Without knowing things like the VMS, number of simultaneous client streams, motion detection configuration and so on, it's difficult to give a concrete yay/nay. But my gut says you'll probably be fine with most products.

I generally don't see AMD getting a lot of love outside of the gaming arena, so you might be missing out on hardware acceleration by going AMD over Intel. Milestone and some other VMS's take advantage of Intel's QSV feature for video decoding. If your VMS doesn't support hardware acceleration for AMD or whatever video card you select, it might be a missed opportunity to offload some of the compute.

(2)
Josh Hendricks
May 25, 2017
Milestone Systems

Here's an example build of materials from our online calculator based on the mainstream values, 30 concurrent client streams and 30 days of motion based recording. Take the storage info with a grain of salt as I don't know which cameras are used, what the effective bitrate will be, or the average % of motion.

If you went Milestone, you'd probably be fine with the AMD as it benchmarks 30% higher than the recommended CPU.

Recording Server Specification

Qty
1 x
Server(s) with the following configuration

Intel Core i3-6100

8 GB RAM

2 Gigabit NICs

Windows 8.1/10 x64 (Pro or Higher)

OS and Application Volume - Disk Configuration:

2 x
300 GB minimum RAID 1

Video Database Disk Configuration:

Connectivity
Internal or Direct Attached
6 x
7.2K RPM
5TB
RAID 1 / RAID10
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
May 25, 2017

I haven't designed servers for a while... Will an i3 really perform for recording, performing motion detection, database/archive,  and handling client access? 

I always run away from i3 and lower when specing desktop and laptops even for basic office functions... 

Am I missing something, or do I need to check out the latest generation cpu? 

Thanks. 

Josh Hendricks
May 25, 2017
Milestone Systems

It depends on the software. Milestone, and I suspect most any popular VMS, is not very CPU hungry on the recording side.

The two biggest consumers are motion detection and transcoding. But we all have strategies to minimize CPU use for motion detection. Keyframes only, ignoring a percentage of pixels, or some pull a low resolution substream for motion detection.

The result is that for small systems like this, an i3 is adequate, so long as you are not running a client on the same machine as the server.

Personally, I wouldn't go i3 because the cost difference between i3 and i5's is negligible and why not get more bang for your buck and a little margin for error or growth.

Side note: The XProtect Advanced VMS codebase utilizes hardware acceleration on the recording server now, so motion detection is done using Intel Quick Sync Video when available. It would probably sing pretty well on an i3 with the OP's project spec.

(1)
UI
Jun 16, 2017

The CPU performance depends on the software? how come? I used Maxiwatch Lite software and I encountered lagging of the system everytime I do changes in the settings of a camera.

I tried some tests that the software only installs 1ch camera and the scenario is still the same

Josh Hendricks
Jun 16, 2017
Milestone Systems

The CPU performance doesn't change, but some software is less "CPU hungry" than others. It just depends on what the software does, and the design decisions made when building it.

UI
May 25, 2017

VMs: Maxiwatch lite

Motion recording

Client stream:5

If your VMS doesn't support hardware acceleration for AMD or whatever video card you select

How to know if it is supported or not?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
May 25, 2017

Has anyone else ever heard of/seen this software?  

JH
John Honovich
May 25, 2017
IPVM

I have never heard of Maxiwatch before, not a lot of Google results, but the best one indicates it is a product of Fine, and the screencap included there suggests it is a NUUO OEM.

UI
May 26, 2017

NUUO OEM of VMS? 

JH
John Honovich
May 26, 2017
IPVM

Yes, an OEM of NUUO's older Main Console. That's just by looking at the picture, the picture could be out of date, etc.

UI
May 27, 2017

May I ask if NUUO is active in the market until now? Is there the new main console available?

JH
John Honovich
May 27, 2017
IPVM

if NUUO is active

NUUO is still around but they have been having challenges - related, NUUO Falling Apart? Anyone Else Having Problems With Communication And Resolving Tech Issues?

Is there the new main console available?

I have not kept up on details of NUUO's Main Console but scanning through their release notes, v7 was released a few months ago.

That being said, whether Fine is still OEMing NUUO Main Console and what version they would be on, I have no idea.

UI
May 29, 2017

NUUO is still around

Is it possible that they didn't update their website? their "News" portion last updated on Jun 7 2016 which is almost a year from now. How should the system integrator like me to know the progress that they have?

That being said, whether Fine is still OEMing NUUO Main Console and what version they would be on, I have no idea.

As of now maxiwatch has v6.7

UI
Jun 02, 2017

Also may I know the performance of NUUO in the market these days?

U
Undisclosed
May 30, 2017

But how about with TLS.  16 cameras (32 streams) of TLS?  IMO that would still work (if the VMS and cameras could handle it.)  But H.264 plus TLS... could chew up a lot of CPU.

UI
May 26, 2017

Can you suggest the applicable processor in the question above? What are the factors to consider in the set up of settings in the camera

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
May 26, 2017

You may be better off working with the manufacturer to determine appropriate specs.  It seems as though the selected product is not something anyone has any experience with.  The best source for specs is always the manufacturer.

JH
John Honovich
May 26, 2017
IPVM

The best source for specs is always the manufacturer.

Presuming they tell the truth... which many do but not all.

More importantly, if that VMS is really an OEM of NUUO Main Console, I would strongly advise not to use it - it's antiquated and even in its day, it was poor. 

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
May 27, 2017

What about the 5MP cameras? The OP only mentions a mainstream of 2MP as far as I can see. We have systems out there on an i3 Appliance with that number of cameras but all at 2MP, the 5MP might just tip you over the edge on throughput especially if you have busy scenes and depending on the cameras used. A quick calculation on the info supplied shows a throughput requirement of around 100Mbps on the Server and with a SmartCodec camera option this could be as low as 49Mbps, but again all depending on the type of application.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions