Subscriber Discussion

Paradox PMD-1 Wireless Detector Problem

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Dec 18, 2017

Posting as an end-user today, not as a manufacturer. Wondering if some of you alarm installers out there could help me?

About 1 week ago, I got a Paradox MG5050 wireless alarm system, installed with 4 PMD-1 wireless detectors for my humble 100sqm house. As soon as the temperature in the house rises above a certain temperature (say mid 20s - not that high ) the detectors do not trigger at all. However, if I leave the air conditioner on at full, at the lowest temperature, they work like normal detectors. So the house has to basically be cold or the alarm system doesn't work.

So I come home from work after the system has been armed for several hours, walk around the house fully armed and the alarm never goes off unless I physically tap the detectors! then it goes into entry delay... Again, the house is quite hot in this case, as it is summer here. I suspect they will work fine in Winter.

I downloaded the manuals to check the jumper settings, but everything appears correct. The local distributor was quite helpful with support, but they have never heard of this problem. I have still to hear from the Installer, who I think doesn't want to know...

Anyone got any ideas what could cause this?  To me, this appears to be a manufacturer defect?

LT
Larry Tracy
Dec 18, 2017

There is No temperature compensation in the sensor that raises gain to compensate for higher room temperature. In others words there is not much difference in the background temperature and your body so the detector doesn't see any change

Its a design issue, I would switch to a Bosch or Honeywell motion detector but since you have wireless you will need to change the control panel as well. 

(1)
UM
Dec 18, 2017

Thanks for replying Larry. Your explanation makes total sense.

I just realized however, looking at the box they came in, that the model is actually PMD2P and according to the Paradox website it does claim to have "Automatic Temperature Compensation". I am not sure where I got PMD1 from, they look identical.

but since you have wireless you will need to change the control panel as well.

...and the wireless siren and remotes.

I think I am going to loose my $2100, but I will have to get it ripped out, it doesn't work and the installer won't reply my e-mails. 

LT
Larry Tracy
Dec 18, 2017

Well it might say it has it but it sure don't work!!!!

(1)
UM
Dec 18, 2017

Exactly. Might see if I can upgrade to some of their other wireless detectors before I have it ripped out, maybe they work better.

UM
Dec 18, 2017

Installer is going to refund three of these detectors, and I'll put some hardwired ones in their place. Talking to another more experienced local installer, he said he is weary of these detectors and reckons, the Paradox hardwired detectors are much more reliable, but in general reckons Paradox is a reliable brand.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions