Panasonic Gen 6 New Mechanical Features

JH
John Honovich
Apr 23, 2014
IPVM

Panasonic has a marketing video for its Gen 6 domes, detailing features they believe are new, novel or better than competitors.

Here is the video:

Any thoughts on these two mechanical / install claims? Below:

And:

Is that genuinely different / better?

Anything else from the video you have feedback or comments on?

david tonsberg
Apr 27, 2014
Security Reps

The new features are dual SD card slots, 60 IPS, and the wide/tele buttons. Panasonic has to have the motorized controls at the camera because they only support Internet Explorer and ActiveX. With Axis or Sony I can take my mobile device to the camera, connect via wifi to view, adjust and deal wtih the camera settings or adjust it manually.

Dual SD slots for RAID5 like recording - again a good idea but who is really demanding this? No one I know today.

60IPS is good for some applications but very limited for security.

The installation improvements are minor at best.

Ari Erenthal
Apr 27, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Dual SD slots for RAID5 like recording - again a good idea but who is really demanding this?

No one demands something they don't have the imagination to envision. Who demanded the iPad?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 27, 2014
IPVM

May I ask a more basic question?

Who is integrating / adding support for Panasonic on board storage / dual SD card slots?

It might be useful to some but, given the cost of these cameras, you would expect potential users to want this integrated with enterprise VMSes.

Ari Erenthal
Apr 27, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Panasonic has never really cared all that much about third party integration, for some insane reason. Like Sony, they love proprietary...ness. Not just their surveillance equipment, either, but all their products. Must be a companywide design philosophy.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 27, 2014
IPVM

I've heard a number of these big companies explain it as follows: "Senior management just doesn't understand why anyone would NOT want to use everything from us." It's probably a by-product of being that big (Cisco is another like that...).

Ari Erenthal
Apr 27, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Never drink your own Kool-Aid.

david tonsberg
Apr 27, 2014
Security Reps

Similarly to big companies is their ability to drive big business and CISCO does that pretty well from the IT side back into their other divisions. If VSOM had dedicated R&D support, been developed faster and had a better sales team driving it, they would be an even heavier contender in the business today.

We all know the best companies are the ones that listen to their customers the closest.

Aaron Saks
Apr 27, 2014

From my time there, to me, it seems that they are referring to these new features, compared to their previous models (what they call a convential camera), not a competitor camera. They are fixing limitations they had with the mechanical or other design. Not much is new to the industry. Having a focus locked zoom button makes the camera easier to install, but is not revolutionary. Having dual SD cards - that is new, and can be a spec item to be used for longer recording OR redundant recording.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions