Panasonic "Easy Kitting Package": Would You Use This?

Ethan Ace
Jan 04, 2017

In its new i-Pro Extreme line, Panasonic is touting what they call the "Easy Kitting Package", essentially a flap in the camera's packaging that lets installers plug in, IP address/config and close the box back up. See this demo:

I've never seen anything like this. I believe some other manufacturer (don't remember which) changed their packaging so you could just open the top flap and plug in, but the perforated flap is different.

Is this useful? Vote here:

Matthew Netardus
Jan 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I think that would be a significant cost saving if that is a commonly used device for a company. The amount of time it takes to un-box something, set it up to be IP addressed, and then re-box it up is definitely something that often times gets forgotten and can build up over time on a large project. It seems like this wouldn't be possible/practical with most products but it is a neat feature if it can catch on and spread to others

(3)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 04, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I just "kitted" (what is that?) 22 Hikvision cameras the other day for an install tomorrow and this would have saved me a few minutes overall and been beneficial. I usually pull open the bottom flap on the boxes, as opposed to the top, because it's usually easier to find the whip there. I also don't have to pull out all the screw packs, tools, manuals, discs, brackets, etc.....

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I just "kitted" (what is that?)

The way I remember it, "kitting" was when someone grouped a bunch of related items together, without assembly, to be sold as a single sku.

I kit you not.

(1)
(3)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 05, 2017
IPVM

And here is someone on Twitter who sees this as negative for integrators:

(4)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jan 05, 2017

While I agree that the death of the installer is coming, this isn't really pushing that agenda too far. 

(5)
EP
Eddie Perry
Jan 05, 2017

they have been doing this for a while its not new. since the 311A's came out about 6 months ago

but I would like to know how you got your hands on a Extreme series before I did.

though me a bone what model did you get?

also I like to inspect the contents while i have only got one doa out of about 1400 cameras from Panasonic over the 3 years I have been buying them I still like to inspect the contents cuz I am paranoid like that.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...but I would like to know how you got your hands on a Extreme series before I did.

You're safe, he doesn't say he has one.

(1)
EP
Eddie Perry
Jan 05, 2017

I Dont know i cant what's in the box...............

haha.

besides the box has no markings on it which means it could be a test model or a free box they gave him......

But I cant see in box so........

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

It's an WV-S1111, 12, 31 or 32.

Ethan Ace
Jan 05, 2017

We don't have a model...we have two.

An S1131 box and an S2531L dome.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Did the S2531L have the same flap?

Ethan Ace
Jan 05, 2017

At first, I thought it didn't, but yes indeed it does:

Also the gif up top was from Panasonic's page, not us. 

EP
Eddie Perry
Jan 05, 2017

Sadness.....................

UM
Jan 05, 2017

This is one of those simple things that makes everyone say "I should have thought of that".  Pretty cool.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jan 05, 2017

If it had a method to expose the lens and imager this would be perfect.  We prestige hundreds of cameras at a time and burn in for 48 hours in addition to preconfiguring.  With one prominent brand we get hit with a sizable restocking fee if we do much as break the seal on the box.  This is actually a step towards helping the integrator.  Well done Panasonic, I am impressed that this came from them.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If it had a method to expose the lens and imager this would be perfect.

Would a camera that had built-in IR and was pointed at a mini-ISO chart on the inside of the box help? ;)

(1)
(4)
Mike Dotson
Jan 09, 2017
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

I would worry about a thermal fail during a 48 hr burn in if the camera was left in its packaging the whole time.

The plastic bag and foam will make the environment very 'toasty' on many of the modern cams.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 09, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Hence the term "burn in" lol.

I agree. You are likely to have IR output the entire time as well, being in a closed box, which adds to the heat output. Bad idea for long term testing. However, just to set the credentials, IP, and basic config, I think it should be fine. 

U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 05, 2017

seems like distributors that pre-configure cameras as a value add before shipping would love this.

RH
Richard Hennigan
Jan 05, 2017

This is great for any integrator that has a PITCO (Pre-install test and check-out plan).

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jan 05, 2017

I like the idea. As far as death to the installer coming soon, I disagree. Typically the customer has no knowledge of networking and or knowledge of the installation and even if they do, they want to call someone when there is a problem. 99% of them say, I'm not in the camera business, just make it work.

UM
Jan 05, 2017

I'm sure the telephone installers all said the same thing 60 years ago.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 05, 2017

I don't follow the logic of your analogy.... care to explain it?

UM
Jan 05, 2017

If you needed a telephone in your kitchen in 1950, you called the phone company, and a telephone installer would come to your house.  He would offer you the black phone for something like $7.25, but you could upgrade to this very stylish avocado green for $8.15.  He would then install your phone for you, and make sure it worked properly.  At that time, the telephone industry wasn't plug and play - you needed special skills and knowledge to make a phone work.  As time progressed, phones became more user friendly, and connectivity became universal.  Telephone technicians are only needed for the most complex corporate systems.  It's not hard to imagine that surveillance will follow the same path. 

Surveillance installers in 2017 = Telephone installers in 1950.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 05, 2017

"Telephone technicians are only needed for the most complex corporate systems."

Not sure I agree with that.  When I worked for a smaller integrator (~25 employees) our service provider did all the installation and configuration of our telephony system.

...and I would maintain that the same principle has already been in place for years regarding surveillance installers.  Unless there is some complexity, end-users will generally install surveillance themselves.

Do you agree?

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
Jan 09, 2017

Any idea how this works on a dome camera?  Typically they have a female connector on the camera.  How do you get the network cable into the dome?  A vandal dome typically has to be opened up, etc.

Is there a short network cable already attached to the camera???

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions