Subscriber Discussion

Recommendations For Outdoor Fisheye With True WDR, ~65ft IR

RB
Rico Blaser
Oct 23, 2017

I'm currently looking for a panoramic camera with the above specs for a historic building. I need to install the cameras at a height of approximately 21ft (6.5m), which is higher than I would prefer. Below is a list of cameras I have looked at.

Of those, only the Hanwha PNF-9010R (recently reviewed on IPVM with positive feedback) and the Vivotek FE9382-EHV (not reviewed here) meet the hardware WDR criteria. There is also a new 12MP version of the Vivotek camera that includes a smart IR feature but no hardware WDR.

Questions:

(a) What has been your experience with the Vivotek FE9382-EHV?

(b) Of the two cameras, which one would you select and why? Are there other options?

Many thanks for your inputs!

Kind regards,
Rico

(1) Uniview IPC868ER-VF18
      1/1.7”, 12MP, CMOS
      F1.6
      20m IR
      Digital WDR

(2) Hanwha PNF-9010R
     1/1.7”, 12.4M, CMOS
     F2.2
     15m IR, ? LEDs
     True WDR (120dB)

(3) Geovision GV-FER12203
     1/1.7”, 12MP, CMOS
     F2.4
     30m IR, 6 LEDs
     Digital WDR

(4) Hikvision DS-2CD63C2F-IV
     1/1.7”, 12MP, CMOS
     F2.4
     15m IR, 3 LEDs?
     Digital WDR

(5) Vivotek FE9382-EHV
     1/1.8”, 5MP, CMOS
     F2.2
     20m IR, 6 LEDs
     WDR Pro 

(6) Bosch: no IR fisheye

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 23, 2017

What VMS are you using?  

RB
Rico Blaser
Oct 23, 2017

The VMS is not set in stone yet and could be changed depending on the cameras deployed. It seems clear though that Hanwha is more flexible in this regard, particularly when it comes to the client-side dewarping of the fisheye stream.

(1)
Ethan Ace
Oct 23, 2017

A few questions, just to get to the bottom of the application:

- What sort of scene are you looking at? 

- What sort of detail is expected? Mounted 20' up, you're going to be looking at the tops of heads when subjects are close, and PPF will be too low for details when they're at a more reasonable angle of incidence to see a face. So you're essentially looking at activity monitoring/subject direction only.

- Also, even using a 12MP model, your PPF will be <10 at 65', so detection only. Is that acceptable?

(1)
RB
Rico Blaser
Oct 23, 2017

Hi Ethan, thanks for your response!

(1) It's a historic building that I can't "deface" with cameras. However, I am able to put dome cameras under an overhanging roof. They do not necessarily all need to be panoramic. One problem is significant and changing sun exposure, which makes hardware WDR pretty important.

(2) The idea is to watch the perimeter immediately surrounding the house, which is to say the facade plus about 40ft towards a park. I've specified a 65ft IR range mostly because many cameras don't exactly meet their specified IR range. In your report, the PNF-9010R achieved 10-12m of the specified 15m.

(3) Detection is, in fact, the most important task, together with a full 360-degree coverage of the surrounding area (insurance claims, etc) during day and night time (24/7). Anytime someone gets within a few meters of the building from any direction, attempts to scale the building or break into a window this needs to be caught and recorded.

(4) There are some choke points, including a long drive way that can be monitored from a better, lower viewpoint.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Oct 24, 2017

Vivotek's WDR (pro) has 110 Db and is an excellent WDR.
Also the durability of a Vivotek camera weighs in your favor.
Another interesting point is that it is a camera of 05 megs, and Vivotek is already in H265. Not to mention the Vivotek Dewarp, which in my opinion is absolute among all other manufacturers. IPVM has already tested Vivotek's FishEye and multisensor very successfully, and the results have been better than the other manufacturers (if I am not in memory). and I did not mention other technologies like smart Strean II (-30% d band consumption), Defog, EN 50155, IK 10, and extreme temperatures. Effective and intelligent IR for 20 meters.
I am fa from Vivotek, reliable product, sorry that IPVM (of whom I have so much appreciation) not so much space to Vivotek.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions