Subscriber Discussion

Outdoor Cameras For HOA

CR
Chaz R. Chaulk
Oct 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I have a customer who wants a couple cameras installed in the entry/exit of a high end neighborhood. There is a wall that would be suitable to mount hardware, and it also has power.

My issues are this:

1. No internet access. But the President of the HOA lives closest to the area where the cameras would go. I was thinking WIFI off his house.

2. I really don't want to put a NVR in a box on that wall. It wont last for long.

I saw a Trendnet access point that claims to be able to pickup an internet source from 3-4 kilometers.

I wanted to trench a direct buried cat 6 cable from his house to the area where we need it, but so far they don't want to do that.

Any ideas on cameras or access points for this application?

Thanks,

Chaz

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 04, 2016

One option would be to use Avigilon's Edge Storage cameras. They have up to 256GB of onboard SSD storage and with the 9-22mm lens option they can ID license plates up to 100ft with the internal IR and up to ~150ft with additional IR. At the camera location, you will need an NEMA box with a POE switch (or two POE injectors) and UBNT AP. At the other end you will use another UBNT AP to create a PTP wireless link back to the house. Then you install the client software on the computer or computers at the other end so you can access the camera.

With the ES camera you get Avigilon's ACC server built in so you don't need to run a DVR or server. You can use the camera based video analytics to search video super fast. Write 1 rule to show you all cars that are exiting and another rule to show cars that are entering. Then you can search each alarm event to show only cars that are leaving or only cars that are entering. This makes searching for vehicles lighting fast.

(3)
CR
Chaz R. Chaulk
Oct 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Thanks Michael. I will check those products out. I like the onboard storage feature. This is a good approach.

Chaz

Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 04, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Michael has some great advice. Only caveats there would be getting your hands on Avigilon products and making sure your client can afford them. If yes to both, it is a very good solution.

Assuming that either is a no, you can use just about any IP camera that you would like with a similar setup (NEMA box, PoE switch, UBNT radio) and either use the edge recording (SD card) or an NVR at the client's house (don't forget the UBNT radio here too).

We have used the UBNT Nanostation Loco M5 radios with great success. You will need to evaluate the site where you will be installing to ensure that the M5 would be appropriate. You can search IPVM and find articles about how to choose the right radios for your setup and site. There isn't a one size fits all, but with a little research, you should find the right product pretty easily.

(3)
(1)
CR
Chaz R. Chaulk
Oct 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Thanks Guys. I will try the solutions out.

That is a great head start to solving our issue.

CR
Chaz R. Chaulk
Oct 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Having a hard time finding the H4 ES cameras. I like the idea of having 256GB onboard storage.

Any other suggestions instead of Avigilon?

Thanks

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 09, 2016

Have you reached out to Avigilon to find your local dealer? Avigilon does not sell on the web so you need to speak with a dealer. We are Avigilon dealers and can sell you product or get you in touch with a local dealer. If you are interested please let me know.

Most other manufacturers use SD cards for their on camera storage which has not been so reliable. Not to mention searching video will be much slower.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 09, 2016
IPVM

Have you considered Mobotix? These sorts of applications (especially edge storage / outdoor) are common use cases for them.

(1)
HF
Hunter Fort
Oct 11, 2016

Thank you John! Yes this is especially what MOBOTIX does well. I'd be happy to assist should you need any information on our products for this application.

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

But unless they are h.264 yet, that edge storage is going to fill up 5x as fast, no?

CR
Chaz R. Chaulk
Oct 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Thanks. Our intent is too record on motion only, but we want the cameras to have as much onboard storage as possible.

Chaz

HF
Hunter Fort
Oct 12, 2016

In reply to both U1 and Chaz.

U1- first off h264 does noting for storage persay, it is just streaming. It is the ability of the camera to detect events in a very intelligent way that has the most effect on storage.

to answer you and Chaz, all MOBOTIX cameras have embedded smart detection video analytics allowing very intelligent detection to reduce false event recording over traditional video motion detection by roughly ~90+%. This allows for ~90+% more data rentention time for same volume of data storage used - in this case MX cams support any capacity MicroSD cards, 200GB or larger is no issue.

With that being said for this application 30,60, or even 90days retention is possible even at high resolution 3MP- 6MP directly on the camera.

Also to note, MOBOTIX has been doing edge recording longer than any manufacturer and we have proven reliability on COTS MicroSD Cards. It is a myth regarding reliability of SD Card storage when it comes to MOBOTIX. The same cannot be said for others.

Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 12, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Respectfully, you're dead wrong. H.264 undoubtedly would reduce storage usage over MJPEG.

(1)
HF
Hunter Fort
Oct 12, 2016

Well I knew that was going to open a can of worms!

With respect to an HOA application and a gate/common area and event recording only, H.264 does not play much of an effect on storage here was my point. H.264 clearly helps in other cases that is for sure, especially continuous recording scenarios. Furthermore, we support MXPEG which is way more efficient than MJPEG.

Secondly, we could also argue that even using Avigilon in this scenario H.264 and 256GB SSD is irrelevant. It is the Analytics that matter most in this case to reduce storage consumption. My guess with Avigilon in this scenario 256GB is even overkill due to solid performing Analytics. The exact same can be said for MOBOTIX.

So my point is really that it has nothing to do with H.264/+, MxPEG, MJPEG, who cares. If the solution in the camera is solid enough and the quality of the system is there then the requirement is met- regardless of codec.

BTW- LOL- MxPEG is superior to H.264! Ha I said it. Another can of worms opener!

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Another can of worms opener!

The fish aren't biting...

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions