Hi, I want to learn from those here who do a lot of outside cameras installs.
Some cameras come with a really good female connector. Example are Hikvision Outdoor cameras and Dahua's.
I like to know :
- What brand and model of cables you prefer for outdoor use? Not the direct burial cable. Those don't work well in conduits. Real good outdoor rated Cat5e or even Cat5. I have used the Southwire from HomeDepot in the past but would like to know of your own experience.
- What connectors do you know can take the Outdoor environment well. Regular 8p modular connectors (improperly called RJ-45) can become brittle when subjected to varying and/or extreme temperature.
- Speciality Weather proof connectors and/or assembly are quite expensive many are around or above $10 each and some rely on a regular 8-pin connector which bring us back to 2).
- Do you use any weatherproofing on the connectors/junctions? If yes, how? What type?
- How do you deal with insects? Ants in particular. We have an occurrence where they have taken a liking with some Vivotek cameras wiring and eat the jacket to failure... :(
I have stayed away from surge protection, A vast subject in itself. I am assuming it is taken care of ( BIG assumption !:))
Your experiences and stories will be much appreciated.