Subscriber Discussion

Outdoor Biometric Reader?

Richard Lavin
Mar 08, 2017
Salas O'Brien • IPVMU Certified

I have a client that wants biometric readers for access control on exterior perimeter doors.  This means the reader will be in an outdoor, unprotected area. Does anyone have any experience with outdoor rated (probably IP64 or better) biometric readers?  The client hasn't indicated any preferred type, but I'm thinking fingerprint or hand vein.

Richard Lavin
Mar 09, 2017
Salas O'Brien • IPVMU Certified

So far, I've found:

MorphoAccess Sigma Lite Series

MorphoAccess 500 Series

Both claim IP65 rating.

I've also found the Techsphere VP-II X Hand Vascular Scanner.  The web page claims "harsh environment robustness", but they don't give an IP rating.

Anyone have experience with any of these readers in an outdoor environment?

(1)
Mark McRae
Mar 09, 2017
Inaxsys Security Systems

Suprema Biolite Net https://www.supremainc.com/en/node/118

we have sold dozens in the past- very solid and dependable reader.

i have a unit installed outside of my garage door (it's been there close to 3 years) and i use the onboard relay to trigger my garage door opener. If you're worried about weatherproofing of the unit - I can vouch for it. It has worked in -20 Celsius as well as +35 Celsius, in rain and shine.

(2)
(4)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Mar 09, 2017

The STI-6521 is a good "shield", if you need it.  Have used this on quite a few installs along the Gulf Coast.  Disclosure:  I am a BioConnect rep. 

(1)
(2)
JR
John Robinson
Mar 09, 2017

I've installed the Morphotrak and Suprema items mentioned above in outdoor reader environments.  The Morphotrack integrated as a front end on a Paxton system.  It required managing two separate software db's.  (Scan user fingerprint in the Biomanager software and then transfer the Weigand ID over to Paxton.  Kind of a pain.  This was initially about 4-5 years ago and I'm sure the integration has improved.

With Biostar, it's an all in one package.  The reader is also the ACU.  Can just run 1 Cat5 and 1 power wire to the door.  We initially went with the Biolite Net's but had issues with them in direct Sunlight.  We have since standardizedon the BioEntry W (W for weatherproof).  It doesn't have a keypad but we found very few users needed that.  It will read Mifare or HID cards depending on the model, and of course the fingerprints.  We've had excellent success with the W models including several at college fraternity houses, where the potential abuse threat is higher, especially late at night.   We had one get kicked off the mounting bracket when the frat member couldn't navigate his fingerprint, but the camera caught it and he had to pay up.

(1)
(6)
Baudouin Genouville
Mar 15, 2017
SUPREMA

@Marc: OMG you answer so fast! Do you run a specific program on IPVM.com? ^^

@John Robinson: thank you for your positive comments on Suprema. You shall upgrade to BioEntry W2 (same price as previous W but with 2x~25x time more performance and nice features). For example the sensor is auto-on (so not shinning RED in the night)

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions