Subscriber Discussion

Other Integrators Not Playing Fair

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 25, 2016

A few months ago we were part of a public bid where we help with the initial system design. We had even put in the first dozen or so video systems. Needless to say a month or two before the bid came out we registered the products.

We ended up winning the bid and after who manufactures were telling me stories about other integrators calling them up and saying they specified the job or plain out threatening them that they would protest if they didn't give them preferred pricing.

Is this a common occurrence? I know it is not something I would ever do. My attitude on public bids is if it comes out and I don't already know about it I probably won't win it.

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jul 25, 2016

I've worked for several manufactures, both large and small. I'd say that this happens 114% percent of the time.

Call me jaded, but every territory has one or two integrators who just have no shame. They seem to survive, but never really prosper.

(4)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 25, 2016
IPVM

other integrators calling them up and saying they specified the job

That seems like a risky tactic because typically a competent RSM would know what integrators are involved with most major customers (e.g., ABC is the preferred integrator of XYZ, etc.).

(2)
Keith Walker
Jul 25, 2016

In your case, I get it, you helped with the initial design and certainly meet the intent of job registrations.

Where I get annoyed are situations where the manufacturer rep is taking care of a buddy and having him do the registration, even though he had nothing to do with getting the product spec'd.

(of course, when I'M the buddy, it's okay.....)

(3)
(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jul 26, 2016

Not playing fair. A senior VP of a major video manufacturer once told me, "a fair is a place you take a pig" or " the fair comes in October".

I think the moral of the story is if you're supporting and specifying a project with a manfacturers you MUST be in synch with that mfg. if you are afraid of a personal relationship between the mfg and his "friend" across town - you should discuss your concerns. It's a tough competitive business and more often then not, "where's there smoke, there's fire". Address your concerns - or specify another product.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
Jul 27, 2016

1.) I would say it is not all that uncommon of an occurrence. People are (largely) scumbags, especially when money is involved.

2.) I think it is just as likely that the manufacturer told you those stories to help solidify the fact that they protected you in an attempt to reinforce that relationship. Maybe they know there is a slight problem with a product specified that may cause you heartburn -- they're hoping that their "protection" will be fresh in your mind and you'll let them skate on it. Or, maybe they're just hoping to keep you close the next time one of these projects comes around. Either way, smart business by them, even if possibly a little underhanded.

3.) Bidding is such a fickle thing, especially on city/state/government projects. I've submitted bids and found out after the fact that I was the only one that submitted. I've also submitted bids and found out after the fact that there were so many submissions with varying price points that they were forced to pull it back and rebid it because the pricing was too varied. Unless you're in at the ground floor (as you were on this one -- kudos to you), you never know where you are -- so you gotta ask questions and make friends the whole way through.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions