Subscriber Discussion

OSDP V2 Reader Security

SV
Seth Veit
Sep 25, 2017

Is anyone else currently utilizing OSDP v1 or v2? We have been utilizing HID v1 readers for some time and have reprogrammed a few readers to utilize v2 secured. We have had good luck and are migrating all existing readers and new reader purchases to OSDP v2. Just curious how many people are familiar with OSDP and are considering the switch from Wiegand to OSDP.  

Brian Rhodes
Sep 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hello Justin:

We will queue this question up (OSDP v1/v2 vs. Wiegand) in a survey.

However, based on informal polls in our access courses, OSDP is being used a small percentage of deployments.  Wiegand is still the most common method, and maybe even Clock & Data or RS-485 before OSDP.

Considering that so many still use cracked/clonable/unsecure 125 kHz credentials, it is not surprising that migrating to OSDP has yet to gain significant momentum.  

I suspect OSDP use is strongest in high-security/ high-end deployments but outside of that fairly uncommon.

U
Undisclosed
Sep 25, 2017

(Disclaimer: I'm on the SIA committee, I built the open source OSDP implementation, I hang out with too many OSDP implementors ;-)

There are commercial sites deploying OSDP v2 now.  They tend to be people using credentials stronger than prox (DESfire, SEOS, PIV, Biometrics, commercial PIV equivalents.)  It tends to be used in places that want more security on the reader-to-panel connection or who want better device management (OSDP is supervised, you can't just chop the wiegand wire and start feeding the panel numbers, if deployed correctly.) 

Note new Merc^^^^HID panels are sometimes OSDP only - there are parts of the market that intend this be the new reader connection standard.

(1)
SV
Seth Veit
Sep 25, 2017

I appreciate all your effort where OSDP is concerned. The reason I ask is,  if you study Wiegand and OSDP I can't find any significant reason to not choose OSDP but yet this industry hasn't seemed to take advantage of it. In our particular situation the hardware cost is the exact same. I did my homework and put myself out their based on my own research and am glad that I went OSDP.  I am hopeful that more people will start to be aware of the security implications and vulnerabilities the world is facing and feel that all organizations can benefit from OSDP technology.  

(1)
Jonathan Lawry
Oct 02, 2017
Trecerdo, LLC

I see more and more manufacturers supporting OSDP (I work with a few PACS manufacturers).  From where I sit, it appears to be driven by wanting encrypted connections to the reader, as well as a supervised reader connection.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions