Subscriber Discussion

Choosing Axis P3717-PLE Vs Q6000-E Mk II For Parking Lot General Overview?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Oct 29, 2018

I'm looking for some opinions on these two cameras. I'm familiar with the Q6000. I'm considering a P3717-PLE for a parking lot installation at my church for general overview, and would like some opinions on the P3717-PLE before purchasing. The side-by-side seems to indicate the 3717 is a better option, but I'd like some feedback.   

Sean Patton
Oct 29, 2018

It might be hard to come up with many opinions because of low/limited delivery, we had another integrator ask about these in September (Any AXIS P3717-PLE Availability Updates?).

We have not tested either the Q6000 or the P3717-PLE.

The P3717-PLE has the on-paper advantages of IR and varifocal 1080P cameras. However, the Q6000 has the advantage of being currently on sale.

Do you plan on using the Q6000 with a PTZ? Otherwise the P3717 should be cheaper (versus Q6000-E Solo), with more capabilities (IR, varifocal). So the Q6000 only makes sense with the PTZ, which then will make it significantly more expensive.

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Oct 29, 2018

No PTZ.

Sean Patton
Oct 29, 2018

In that case, when it is available the P3717 should be the easy choice in that case. We have a test report on the similar Axis model P3707 where one of the primary drawbacks of poor low light performance should be helped out by the integrated IR.

Personally, and as Mike referenced in the video he posted, I loved the flexibility of the 3707-PE when I was an integrator, and while the manual focus was a complaint point from our techs, the cost to capability ratio was right, in my opinion.

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Oct 29, 2018

So, help me to better understand the tilt angle issue.

The review of the P3707 cited issue with angle limitations, and subsequently not being able to see the tops of vehicles at the far end of the parking lot. The specs say the P3707 has an tilt angle of adjustment of 28-92 degrees. The P3717 specs say it has an tilt angle of adjustment of 5-65 degrees. 

What do these numbers mean in the context of camera view orientation? It seems counterintuitive, but am I correct in thinking the P3717 will be able to achieve a higher orientation than the P3707? Meaning, had you tested the P3717, you would have been able to see the tops of the vehicles?

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 29, 2018

I found this clip from the P3717.  I like how you can aim one of the images in the same area as another one with a wide lens and another with a tight lens. 

ML
Michael Lewis
Oct 29, 2018

I have several Q6000's paired with the Q6055-E, and a couple of the similar P3707's (no IR). They're all used in parking lot-like environments and do well in that sort of lighting. The P3707 is good because it has the varifocal lenses, and the Q6000 is good because of the integration with the PTZ, and you can install different lenses if needed. I've tried third party lenses on the 6000, but it had trouble with it for some reason, giving weird colors.

If you don't intend to install a PTZ with it, I would suggest just going with the P37xx for the added flexibility (IR, varifocal lenses, corridor option). Also, the Q6000 has a little bit of trouble shooting straight down because the camera housing gets in the way at extreme angles. The P37xx is built for that.

Also, when aiming the sensors, they can only get so close to each before they won't budge anymore. You'll have to be more thoughtful with aiming them. Not really a drawback, just an observation.

(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Oct 30, 2018

Does anyone have any input on the tilt angle question I asked yesterday?

Essentially, will the P3717 be able to tilt higher, thus achieving a farther fov than the P3707? The picture included in the IPVM test of the P3707 showed several vehicles at the far end of a relatively small parking lot with their tops not in view. I want to be sure I can avoid this problem in a parking lot about twice as large with a P3717.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 30, 2018
IPVM

Yes, we received feedback from Axis. They said the product launched on October 17th so it should be available soon.

Axis noted that there was "an error in the tilt angle figures in the datasheet for the P3717-PLE. The tilt angles should be 17° - 102° and will be corrected shortly."

Axis elaborated that:

The need to tilt the cameras up further compared to the P3707-PE has been improved in the P3717-PLE, and when zoomed out, you can now see the horizon/ceiling approximately 12 inches from the camera. When fully zoomed in, this distance is approximately 6 feet.

(1)
(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Oct 30, 2018

OK, so bear with me. If the camera were mounted on a ceiling and zoomed out, I'd begin seeing ceiling tiles 12 inches away. And at 6 feet if zoomed in. So, presumably, seeing above the horizon would be no issue for the P3707-PE. 

Stupid question, and the Marine Corps always told me there's no such thing as a stupid question, all the while calling me stupid, but I digress....is the horizon considered to be the 90 degree point, assuming a level installation? Meaning if the P3717 was tilted down as far as it could go the bottom of the image would be at 17 degrees, and if it were tilted up as far as it could go, the top of the image would be at 102 degrees. 

Thanks for the help.    

JH
John Honovich
Oct 30, 2018
IPVM

I trust Axis that it's going to be better than the P3707. How exactly it will work / cover, I'd be more comfortable testing.

We are definitely going to test it and soon, as soon as we can buy one through distribution.

PD
Paresh Desai
Dec 03, 2018

In your testing can you compare it to Panasonic WV-X8570N?

Thanks

Paresh

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions