Subscriber Discussion

One Step Closer To CSI

Harrison Mitchell
Aug 05, 2015

Google And MIT Researchers Demo An Algorithm That Lets You Take Clear Photos Through Reflections

Think we'll ever see this integrated into surveillance cameras?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 05, 2015
IPVM

That's cool. Thanks for sharing.

'Ever' is a long time.

In a few years (3, 5, 10), this will probably become a feature for photography editing and commercial video enhancement software. Since this is not a big practical problem for surveillance cameras, I think it will be a long time before there will be value in integrating it into cameras.

Here is the researcher's original video:

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 05, 2015

John

Cameras in school lobbies, retail stores, etc, all provide views through glass. Perhaps this might be usefull in a varity of applications.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 05, 2015
IPVM

Sure but usually you are not trying to see on the other side of the glass. And even in those cases were you do, it's clearly a distinct minority statistically.

That is why I am saying it is a more natural fit as a separate after processing tool rather than something integrated into every unit of a given camera model.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

That is why I am saying it is a more natural fit as a separate after processing tool rather than something integrated into every unit of a given camera model.

Maybe just the type of thing that the Entropix crew would pursue?

P.S. Avigilon cameras aren't affected by looking thru glass... ;)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Aug 06, 2015

We do a lot of work for banks. This would be great for shots that require looking through drive up windows and bulletproof glass. Don't see it happening with this process though.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Non-CSI technology to consider: polarizing filters....

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions