Subscriber Discussion

Need To Get A 35 Camera System Recording To A Cloud Server ASAP

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 06, 2017

I have a 35 camera Hikvision system in place and recording ONsite, but need to get the system recording to a cloud server as well ASAP.

Please dont speculate on how you think this might work, I have dealt with a lot of tech support that has gotten me nowhere in my current configuration with Eagle Eye Networks.

If you have this setup please provide me with some insight on who you are recording to and how.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Dec 06, 2017

1) Are these connected to NVR and if so whats brand and model?

2) Can the cameras/nvr be accessed via static IP?

3) What kind of bandwidth is available at current location?

4) At what resolution, FPS and for how many days off-site storage is required?

5) Is port forwarding ok or would you prefer a gateway that can record and push to the cloud?

(1)
UI
Dec 06, 2017

1 - Cameras are DS-2CD2132F-I   NVR is DS-9664NI-I8

2 - NVR is on static but cams are on NVR second NIC

3 - not sure of bandwidth but lets assume it is not an issue, as this is not the root of my current issue. 

4 - Resolution is 4cif, fps is negotiable, for 30 days

5 - cams are not on NVR lan so i dont think port forwarding will work? otherwise either

Todays issue with Eagle Eye was that they required an MJPEG stream, not h264. So when I logged into the camera and changed the substream to MJPEG, the recorder was dropping the live substream view. So I could view a full resolution picture but when I go to view a 4x4 or 5x5 it changes the output to the substream and gave me an error "Stream type not compatible" or something. So essentially no usable onsite live view, from HDMI or iVMS4200

Hans Kahler
Dec 06, 2017
Eagle Eye Networks

Full disclosure - I work for Eagle Eye Networks

The Eagle Eye VMS was originally designed to be used instead of DVRs.  However, many customers have asked us if it's possible to work in conjunction with DVRs or NVRs or other VMS systems.  In some cases we can do this, but not in all cases.

This works when we can get two streams from the cameras, a low resolution MJPEG stream and a high resolution H.264 stream.  We manage these streams separately - the low res is called preview and typically goes to the cloud in real time.  The high res is generally stored locally until bandwidth is available to send it to the cloud.  (these are default settings but can be adjusted)

When we are set up with a DVR or other recorder the limitations are generally on the cameras.  Hikvision has several lines of cameras and their lower line doesn't work in this configuration, but there are many Hikvision cameras that do work this way.  (we take the video feed from the cameras, not the recorder.) 

I'm sorry this isn't working, and without knowing your company name I can't look up the specifics, but if you would like to talk to me please feel free to call our main number (+1-512-473-0500) and ask for me.  I will be glad to assign one of our top people to look into this and see if we can make it work. 

(4)
UI
Dec 06, 2017

Thank you for reaching out. The tech I spoke with today seemed pretty knowledgable and made it sound like a black and white issue and that it plain wouldnt work how I needed it to. I hope otherwise, I will call tomorrow. I sent you a PM with the case number. 

UM
Dec 07, 2017
  1. Understand, NVR has two NIC cards let’s say with ip addresses of ip1 and ip2; further let us say cameras are on the same network as ip2. To understand better, what is the purpose of having ip1 network in the NVR?
  2. Can we access the NVR from a PC on the ip1 network (through browser) and see the live feed of cameras?
  3. Can we access the NVR from a PC on the ip2 network (through browser) and see the live feed of cameras?
  4. In which network internet connectivity is available -  ip1 network or ip2 network or both or none?
UI
Dec 07, 2017

1 - nic1 provides internet and access to the customers lan, nic 2 provides a private lan just for the cameras.

2 - yes

3 - yes

4 - internet on nic 1

UM
Dec 07, 2017

Full disclosure i represent Duranc (www.duranc.com) May be we might have a solution and please contact vms.sales@duranc.com. we can take it up from there. 

UM
Dec 07, 2017

You can reach out me at 313-850-5988. (suresh)

JH
John Honovich
Dec 06, 2017
IPVM

I have a 35 camera Hikvision system in place and recording ONsite, but need to get the system recording

If you have this setup

Few people have such a setup because of upstream bandwidth restrictions. It's certainly possible to do if you have the bandwidth. As 3 asks, have you verified how the minimum upstream bandwidth available 24/7?

(1)
UI
Dec 06, 2017

I have not, but this is not preventing my setup currently, as I just added above, the conflict is with substream usage. Hikvision needs h264 substream, Eagle Eye needs MJPEG

UI
Dec 07, 2017

John can you provide me with a few examples of companies that do this, regardless of bandwidth, I need to make some calls.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 07, 2017
IPVM

Genetec Stratocast but that's out because of Hikvision cameras.

IPConfigure has already mentioned themselves.

OpenEye (see OpenEye Launches Own Cloud VMS) is worth calling.

I may be forgetting a few others but there are not a lot of (commercial) options overall.

(1)
UI
Dec 07, 2017

Its crazy how hard this service is to find. OpenEye says they utilize onsite storage, and ipconfigure says this is also not their normal offering.

Hans Kahler
Dec 07, 2017
Eagle Eye Networks

Just to be clear - Eagle Eye will work with the cameras and be able to store video in the cloud, or onsite or both, with one of our appliances.  The issue in this specific case is the combination of the cameras, DVR and our appliance. 

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 07, 2017
IPVM

Hans, I am curious. If the Hikvision recorder was removed would this make it work fully with Eagle Eye or?

(1)
Hans Kahler
Dec 07, 2017
Eagle Eye Networks

Yes.  The issue is that the HIK recorder requires 2 H.264 streams and we require 1 H.264 Stream and 1 MJPEG Stream.  The cameras in this instance only produce 2 streams - so only the DVR or our Bridge can be supported.  HIK makes cameras that produce 3 streams.  In that case both the DVR and our Bridge can get what they need from the cameras and work together. 

(3)
Christopher Uiterwyk
Dec 06, 2017
IPConfigure

IPConfigure offers a hybrid model that combines our on-premise VMS solution with a federated cloud management service.  We'd be happy to demo and detail our capabilities. chris.uiterwyk@ipconfigure.com

Regards,
Chris Uiterwyk

CEO

IPConfigure, Inc.

(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Dec 07, 2017

Why not just get rid of the Hikvision recorder problem solved.  

(4)
(1)
(1)
UI
Dec 07, 2017

It would, but I require onsite storage as well

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Dec 13, 2017

Sorry, late to the party.  I do work with ControlByNet (cbncloudsurveillance.com) as disclosure, but yes it's a very simple process and we host some sites with Hikvision already.  No need to add another appliance onsite.  Also most saying a 'cloud-service' are just doing an ftp to a storage site, they're not recording anything offsite.

Do NOT use mjpeg for any upload, that's old school.  Should be h.264 at least.  Feel free to give us a call (770-564-5540) or email.

(1)
FP
Faisal Pandit
Dec 13, 2017
Johnson Controls

Disclosing that I am with Smartvue. Our Smartvue S12 system will take those HIK cameras and allow you to store them locally and or in the cloud or hybrid at any resolution for any number of days - of course all based on your network. 

(1)
Peter Ocasek
Dec 13, 2017

Hi,

I'm CEO angelcam.com. Your setup is pretty simple and our platform is able to handle that. Please feel free to send me an email to sales@angelcam.com with link to this thread.

Thanks
Peter

Carter Maslan
Dec 13, 2017
Camio

you can use camio.com/box to connect your NVR H.264 streams and camio.com/metadata if and only if you run into uplink bandwidth issues. FD I'm CEO of Camio.

(1)
UI
Dec 13, 2017

I love how you all chimed in the same day, but 5 days late...

Anyway, we chose to work with Duranc.com. 

Suresh was extremely helpful and responsive via phone and email. He had 4 cameras up and running for a demo within a few hours and the remaining by the end of the next day. Pricing is very competitive and allowed a healthy RMR markup. 

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 14, 2017
IPVM

#1, I am glad you found a solution that worked for you.

I love how you all chimed in the same day, but 5 days late...

That's my fault. We've covered Angelcam, Camio and Smartvue in the past, I simply forgot about them.

Next week, we are going to release a public directory of cloud video / VSaaS providers so we have a definitive reference for future such requests. Thanks.

(1)
Carter Maslan
Dec 14, 2017
Camio

It was the "Top Discussions" email that probably made us aware of the request at the same time. It would be a nice IPVM option to receive email notifications on discussions tagged with specific topics (e.g. I'd subscribe to "video search", "cloud", "deep learning",...)

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 14, 2017
IPVM

Carter, we do have a news alert feature that allows entering in custom terms. That only is sent once a week though. We could easily allow daily options but not sure how annoying that would be for people.

(2)
Carter Maslan
Dec 14, 2017
Camio

Email has become a pubsub message bus with gmail ;) No problem!

JH
John Honovich
Dec 15, 2017
IPVM

Updated: Directory of VSaaS / Cloud Video Surveillance Providers is now released. Thanks, #1 for inspiring that.

(1)
SY
Suresh Yendrapalli
Dec 14, 2017
Duranc

Thanks for the feedback.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions