Subscriber Discussion

Are Maglock Egress Devices Required To Be Hard Wired?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 27, 2017

On access-controlled mag lock doors where we provide both a REX button and a REX Motion sensor, we usually hard-wire the lock control voltage through both devices and then use the second set on contacts in the REX motion sensor as an input to the access controller (which is programmed to also release the mag lock when actuated).

My question is this >>> I am seeing others only hard-wiring one of the egress devices (usually the REX button on the wall) and only using the motion sensor as an input to the access control system (not hard wired to the lock voltage).  Does this meet Life Safety Code requirements?

Thanks

Brian Rhodes
Feb 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

It depends on which safety code is adopted, but in general direct power interruption is required:

IBC 1008.1.4.4 (2009) Access-Controlled Egress Doors

• A sensor must be mounted on the egress side to detect an occupant approaching the doors. Doors must unlock upon a signal from the sensor or loss of power to the sensor.
  • A manual unlocking device (push button) shall result in direct interruption of power to the lock – independent of the access control system electronics. When the push button is actuated, the doors must remain unlocked for 30 seconds minimum...

Relying on the controller to unlock the maglock introduces the possibility of malfunction/failure to unlock the door.

The code mitigates the risk by mandating you interrupt power directly to the lock.

UI
Feb 27, 2017

Thanks Brian.  The first part of the code above is where it gets a bit hazy ... it references a sensor (motion) and says that a signal from the sensor shall unlock the doors. The only way a signal from the sensor can unlock the door is through the access controller's REX input for the door or via a direct input to a type of mag lock that has direct input terminals to release.

Neither method above is a direct interruption of power to the lock.

Only the REX push button, then, is required to function as a direct interruption of power to the lock?  

Brian Rhodes
Feb 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Ah, I see the issue. Good question/clarification.  The code requires two forms of RTE, a motion/PIR and a pushbutton.

The RTE can be wired to the controller input just the way you describe with no legal issue, but the mandatory pushbutton must directly interrupt power.

UI
Feb 27, 2017

Thanks ...  Gotcha ... we've been doing a little extra wiring then!

UI
Feb 27, 2017

Additionally, we are using the REX buttons with the built-in timer and, yes, standing there with a stop watch to make sure the mag lock stays de-energized for 30 seconds after a push.  

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 27, 2017

Use both devices to directly interrupt power.  More times than I can count I see a momentary button wired directly to the access panel via the REX input so they have a delay on the button.  First off this is totally wrong and secondly it should release for 30 seconds as mentioned above.  We use pneumatic buttons 100% of the time for it's internal timer that works without power.  I've seen these nit wits wire a momentary button to break power at the door which is great but with ZERO delay.  Take your finger off the button and the door locks right away.   

To do it correctly is actually the most simple way.  Take all of your wiring to the door: lock, power, access control relay, button, motion.  Pull them all into a splice box, label them, and run them in series.   

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions