Off Topic: Which Computer Working Arrangement Do You Prefer?

Brian Rhodes
Sep 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I might be a dinosaur, but I still prefer a full sized keyboard, separate mouse, and two full-sized monitors when using a computer. I use a laptop, but it might as well be a desktop, because I connect it to peripherals and keep the lid shut. My IPVM setup is spread out on a full sized desk, and I don't change it unless absolutely necessary.

However, I know my colleagues differ. Some prefer working from lightweight ultrabooks and others make heavy use of tablets. They are more flexible than I am!

I suspect many of the road warriors/sales people make heavy use of tablets, which would make me feel unsettled!

How about you? Vote below:

Ari Erenthal
Sep 16, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

At work, I have a desktop (and a desk) with two large monitors.

But at home, I like to get up and walk somewhere else to continue whatever it is I'm doing. So I have a 13" MacBook Air, which is lightweight enough to work from basically anywhere.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Sep 16, 2016

Work: Tower with 2 24" and 1 65" monitor

Mobile: Surface PRO 3

Home: 40" 4K monitor

I like the mobility of the Surface but need the productivity of multiple monitor setups.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

My IPVM setup is spread out on a full sized desk, and I don't change it unless absolutely necessary.

Full sized desk as well for my IPVM setup, with two 5MP Apple displays (stacked, not side-by-side) though I change my screen layout a bit.

Typical day will have 6 windows on each:

Top Monitor - Content

1. IPVM home page
  2. IPVM discussion navigation page
  3. IPVM article/discussion
  4. IPVM article/discussion
  5. IPVM camera calculator
  6. IPVM camera finder

Bottom Monitor - Content Support

1. Wikipedia
  2. snopes.com
  3. visualthesaurus.com
  4. m-w.com
  5. amazon.com
  6. gimp
Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 19, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I am on my iPhone most out of all of my devices (like right now). It is always in my pocket, so it's the first device I grab.

That said, my second most used device is my laptop. Third would be my iPad.

I no longer have a dedicated desktop PC. Haven't for some time now. I have a VMS server that I could run a Hyper-V based OS if needed. I would simply remote into it with my laptop, if for some reason I needed an alternate OS for testing.

My answer may be different if I had dedicated space for a desktop PC. But that space was consumed by other needs years ago.

Ethan Ace
Sep 19, 2016

I have a Macbook Pro which is typically stationary during the week but mobile when I'm at home.

On my desk is a 25" LCD and the Macbook on a laptop stand to bring up the display height. If there's one thing I can't stand it's looking down at a laptop screen. I have a full size keyboard and a Kensington SlimBlade trackball because I've always preferred them to mice. I also use an iPad as a third monitor for IM sometimes.

Out of the office, I tend to just work with it on my lap, though. I do have a similar setup at home, but I don't use it too much.

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 28, 2016

Office (home): Docked laptop, two 27" monitors, wireless keyboard and mouse.

Road: Laptop + HDMI cable to connect to hotel TV + wireless keyboard and mouse (yes, I bring a wireless keyboard with me when I travel).

Mobile: Surface Pro 4. My favorite mobile device, bar none. As powerful as a laptop, but the stylus and touchscreen make it a fantastic option for taking notes during meetings, etc.

Cell: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 (the non-exploding version)

John Scanlan
Sep 28, 2016
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Work: Ultrabook propped on a laptop stand with full size keyboard, trackman mouse, a 24" monitor connected.

Home: Nearly identical to the office setup. When I bring my work laptop home I use Synergy, so I can control both laptops with just one keyboard/mouse.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions