Subscriber Discussion

Off-Topic: Get A Hoverboard!

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Ok, get a self-balancing, pole-less electric scooter, since these don't actually hover. $300.

Sometime after seeing this discussion, I ordered and finally received one. I am going to go out on a limb and say that these devices, or their close descendants (the self-balancing motorized type) will revolutionize transportation within the next five years. Most "Hoverboards" seem to be made by a few companies Shenzhen.

Why do I think they will have much of an impact, considering powered wheels of different varieties have existed for some time now without major disruption? I think it's the way the device moves laterally that makes it seem natural; skateboards, bicycles and the like are restricted from moving with the same degrees of freedom that we have walking. Hoverboards can do a 180 inside their width.

It feels like you are walking and flying at the same time.

The self-balancing thing is the real invention. Using a gyroscope, the embedded processor makes minute adjustments to each wheel every millisecond to keep the board level.

Still it takes some practice, though probably easier than learning to ride a bike.

Mine takes 2 hours to charge and can for run 2 hours up to speeds of 12mph. Some are faster. NYC apparently is banning, them California is allowing them wherever bikes are allowed. They are exploding across the country, sometimes literally.

Don't fight it, get one and learn how to use it. Use it at work! Be the first to suggest Hoverboard Guard Tours and Site Surveys!

Don't wait for the Hikvision model either.

In 5 years, it'l be the Hov's and the Hov nots.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 10, 2015
IPVM

From the Wirecutter:

"we can’t pick any one model as the “best,” because they all work similarly—and many even use the same technology inside."

JH
John Honovich
Dec 10, 2015
IPVM

"will revolutionize transportation within the next five years"

Why? Granted, I am a guy who works on the Internet...

I am anxiously awaiting self driving cars.

Ethan Ace
Dec 10, 2015

They're going to revolutionize transportation just like the Segway before them!

BTW, in Shenzhen these sell for under $100 easy. They were pretty common in the gadget shops.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

How often did you see anybody using them?

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I think malls and airports will be the first to offer Hoverboard rentals or even free usage like shopping carts.

Short commuting, NYC for instance (if legal).

Advent of electric cars will provide charging options.

Self-driving cars and Hoverboards will of course communicate to reduce traffic.

Eventually shoes will have self-balancing wheels right in them.

Ethan Ace
Dec 10, 2015

I think malls and airports will be the first places to ban them.

They don't go super fast, but 12mph is like someone running into you running full speed. It's 3-4x walking speed. Imagine hundreds of people all bumping and jostling into each other at running speed. It's not a scene I would like to be present for.

They will fail to see adoption for short commuting for the same reason lots of other means have. Bikes are practical because you lock them up outside. This is like arriving on a 15-20 pound skateboard which you then have to find a place to store when you're at your job or dinner or grocery shopping, whatever.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I think malls and airports will be the first places to ban them.

Actually, college campuses seem to hold that distinction.

Yes, I agree they will be banned at airports and mall and on sidewalks, initially at first.

But they never had to enforce a Segway ban, did they?

but 12mph is like someone running into you running full speed. It's 3-4x walking speed.

Oh yes, many people will die. People think of a bicycle having no protection in a crash, well at least you got those handlebars and a big tire. This here is literally head on collision time.

Imagine hundreds of people all bumping and jostling into each other at running speed...

Sensors and group think intelligence, borrowed from self driving cars will keep the flow smooth and 10x the bandwidth of walkers.

This is like arriving on a 15-20 pound skateboard which you then have to find a place to store when you're at your job or dinner or grocery shopping, whatever.

Damn but they are heavy bastards! Remember though, these Hoverboards are the worst ever made in history! Like an IPad I.

Brian Rhodes
Dec 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

History repeats itself:

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 10, 2015
IPVM

Segways were originally $5k or something? right? Hoverboards are much less expensive and much less weight.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 10, 2015

And just as limiting in general. Fairly slow, fairly limited range, no good for inclement weather.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Segways weren't cool. These are.

Sad, but it makes a big difference.

Brian Rhodes
Dec 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

When I was in college, I worked for a manufacturer who made stamped steel mailboxes (among other things).

After ten years, they got tired/ran out of money being named as litigants in cases of mailbox bombs or pranks where personal injury was involved. Not a few cases per year, more like 10-20 per month.

In summary: Even if scooter manufacturers are overseas, tort culture in the USA will go after the resellers. That will put a dent in the 'cool factor' (which I agree is a factor).

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Funny enough Segway is considering suing Hovertrax who is considering suing Walmart for using the Chinese knockoffs.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Dec 10, 2015

Kind of cancels out all these fitbits, bands, and step-counters! Many of us, myself included, could use more walking! LOL

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Actually they work quite nicely on treadmills:

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jan 02, 2016

Ok - that makes me happy.

Michael Budalich
Dec 10, 2015
Genetec

I'm fine with walking, thanks.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

This is more like standing... with style.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Mark Cuban, who had agreed to buy the "authorized" Hovertrax patents has backed out, saying he will make his own Hoverboard.

Razor stepped in and reached an agreement on the patents with Hovertrax, and will be selling them for the holiday season in major outlet stores for the holidays, something that seemed unlikely just a few weeks earlier.

How's that for Yankee know-how?!

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Dec 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

NYC apparently is banning,

all the more reason to ride one in nyc while drinking a big gulp and open carrying...

(1)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Dec 11, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Apparently, a rash a fraudulent purchases and credit card scammers are threatening the hoverboard market.

Soulja Boy (hoverboard reseller, vape dealer, and rapper) had over $175k of his flagship $1500 Soulja Boards fraudulently purchased with stolen cards, and he owes Stripe the refunded amount.

S Beezy isn't the only victim. According to the article:

"It's estimated that fellow hoverboard company IO Hawk owes $900,000 to Stripe due to fraudulent purchases, and their competitor CyBoard owes Stripe $150,000."

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 11, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I don't doubt, but I don't totally follow either.

"It's estimated that fellow hoverboard company IO Hawk owes $900,000 to Stripe due to fraudulent purchases, and their competitor CyBoard owes Stripe $150,000.

So is it saying that someone with stolen credit card numbers ordered 115 boards from Soulja Boy, Soulja Boy shipped them, and then was paid by Stripe, and then the people whose card numbers had been stolen complained and so Stripe had to refund their money and now Stripe wants Soulja to give back the money that they had paid him?

Considering that Soulja's making at least $1200 gross profit on each board, he's mostly just giving back his profit from a sale that never should have happened. Yet you would never know listening to him, and I'm not even sure whose payments he wants reversed, maybe the people with stolen numbers?

I need help all the payments are fraud, and it sent my account to negative because they all say they weren't authorized. please help in any way you can thanks. I don't want to have to pay all this money because of frauds is there any way to reverse these payments and get my account to Good standing.

Jon Dillabaugh
Dec 11, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I read today that all major US airlines have now banned them from being brought into an airplane, checked or not.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 11, 2015
IPVMU Certified

True.

Assuming Santa Air will follow suit, that means a lot of sad faces this year.

But, if anyone knows the dangers of Li ion battery fires it's the airline industry.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 11, 2015
IPVMU Certified
Rv
Rogier van der Heide
Dec 14, 2015
JH
John Honovich
Dec 30, 2015
IPVM
Marty Major
Dec 30, 2015
Teledyne FLIR
PK
Patrick Kelly
Dec 30, 2015

And we love his Hoverboard too, whats a few more knocks to that noggin going to do..

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 31, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Mike Tyson Loves His Hoverboard...

"Float like a butterfly"

"Sting like a m***..."

Harrison Mitchell
Dec 30, 2015

"these devices, or their close descendants (the self-balancing motorized type) will revolutionize transportation within the next five years."

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Real Hoverboard, needs no track, air-powered.

Was designed to put out imitation Hoverboard fires, fast.

Also available in Queen and California King Sizes.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Back on topic: Hovercrime captured on CCTV...

U
Undisclosed #5
Jan 09, 2016

The Segway Robot

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

CCTV footage captures a girl going overboard for Hoverboard:

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hovershoveling. Just in case yours didn't explode yet.

#fireandice

JH
John Honovich
Feb 23, 2016
IPVM

Hoverboards are over—and the industry only has itself to blame:

"The US Federal government said Feb. 18 that no hoverboards meet their safety standards, and retail giants from Amazon to Toys R’ US have completely stopped carrying them. You can’t transport them on dozens of airlines, or on public transportation in New York and many other cities. Riding them is forbidden in public in Britain, on New York City streets and sidewalks, in Disney Land parks around the world, and on dozens of college campuses.

From Dec. 1 alone, there have been more than 50 fires in the US related to hoverboards, the US government said, and customs is working overtime to keep them out of the country."

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This is the perfect time for a big investment!

Btw, I just ordered the Blartian Ninebot mini.

Btw, you would think that Hoverboards cannot be brought into the country. Read the official statement. There is not even a cpse recall issued.

Brian Rhodes
Feb 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I am encouraged to think my investment in Jarts might finally turn around!

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I like the way you think...

Hoverjarts!

U
Undisclosed #5
Feb 23, 2016

If you own a hoverboard:

1. Never hold it in port arms fashion if you are a black youth in Gary, IN and are approached by the Grand Dragon of the KKK (who also happens to be a Gary, IN police officer) - http://huzlers.com/black-teen-shot-after-police-mistake-hoverboard-for-machine-gun/

2. Do not - under any circumstances - hold a loaded handgun while standing on one - http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-lavardo-fisher-teen-shot-dead-hoverboard-20160209-story.html

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 23, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I'm unsure if you know this or not, but Huzlers is a poor mans The Onion.

U
Undisclosed #5
Feb 23, 2016

I don't know if I agree with your assessment - but yes, I am aware that the first link is a parody site (which is why I included some of the content in the description).

2nd link: Also, while covering a couple of very high profile local cases in the past few years (Trayvon Martin, Casey Anthony) the Orlando Sentinel could be perceived by some as a poor mans The Onion.... :)

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 23, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Just making sure. With one fake and one real article, I was unsure if you were aware.

U
Undisclosed #5
Feb 23, 2016

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Just making sure. With one fake and one real article, I was unsure if you were aware.

If he didn't know, it was a most excellent cover ;)

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
Feb 23, 2016

HAHAHA You paid $300 for one?

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

i didnt buy one...

Pro-tip: get the kind with 48volt batteries and do a outdoor site survey. You can run a POE camera from the board for twice as long as a Karas backpack.

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Import of Hoverboards to the U.S. has been banned.

Because they explode? Because they have been the cause of multiple houses burning to the ground? No, because they infringe the Segway patent!

Loss of personal property is one thing, but intellectual propery is serious...

Get this timeline: In 2014 Segway sues Ninebot(Xiaomi) and other Chinese mfrs for infringement. To settle, Ninebot buys Segway. But since Ninebot was named in the original 2014 Trade action, Segway has now also banned themselves.

I'm just waiting for my Rocket Skates!

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

UL certification now available for Hoverboards:

Ninebot is the first to certify.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions