Off-Topic: Beer, Hard Liquor Or Wine?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 05, 2016
IPVM

In recognition of Eric Fullerton leaving Vicon for his winery, a Friday poll question / discussion.

What does the industry prefer to drink?

Vote and comment inside:

Buddy Mason
Aug 05, 2016

It needs to be multiple choice we are in the security industry!

(6)
(5)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

then "Blood" should be added as well.

(1)
(2)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

tears of small children

(3)
(3)
(6)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 05, 2016

So far most of the voting has come from Utah.

(1)
(7)
Vincent Tong
Aug 05, 2016

this industry made me vote for the hard stuff

(3)
John Bazyk
Aug 05, 2016
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

I drink water. Sometimes I get crazy and put a lemon in it. Today I destroyed my annual sales goal and celebrated with a lemonade.

Not from Utah ;)

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Aug 05, 2016

I drink all 3. However, for dinner I prefer wine, for football I prefer beer, and for nights out I prefer a nice cocktail (hard alcohol).

so the answer is it depends what I'm doing :)

(4)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Alabama Slammer, naturally.

Robert Baxter
Aug 07, 2016

Red or white

Jon Dillabaugh
Aug 07, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Beer is my favorite, but tends to make me drowsy quickly. I can drink way more margaritas before the same effect kicks in. But, that's probably a good thing. It keeps me out of trouble.

Ari Erenthal
Aug 08, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I collect (and, of course, drink) bourbon.

(1)
Luis Carmona
Aug 08, 2016
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

How bourgeois. :)

(3)
Ari Erenthal
Aug 08, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Well, being a wine nerd is expensive, but being a bourbon nerd is incredibly cheap. I don't see the point in being a beer nerd until the hops arms race is over.

(2)
Mark Kirkeby
Aug 08, 2016

Whiskey for me, and "Beer for my Horses"

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Friday tradition:

1080p, 10 year old scotch, 80 proof. By 7:20p, I am already quite pixelated.

(3)
Ethan Ace
Aug 08, 2016

I drink beer year round, bourbon in the winter, and gin in the summer.

And wine when I eat Italian, pretty much.

JE
Jim Elder
Aug 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

You do know that bourbon is a year round drink right?

(1)
Sean Nelson
Aug 08, 2016
Nelly's Security

I thin you were buzzed when you wrote this post.

(1)
Luis Carmona
Aug 08, 2016

Buzzed commenting is drunk commenting.

(2)
Joseph Parker
Aug 08, 2016

I put Tequila in my Corona, not seeing that option?

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Aug 08, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I do something similar with Dos Equis Amber! Tequila and a lime!

(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Aug 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Im from Kentucky, so I am a Bourbon fanatic. A good Cohiba and a glass of Eagle Rare 17 or Pappy Vanwinkle 23 (assuming you can get either) on a deck looking over the River...

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Aug 10, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Everyone knows that Pappy is a myth, something Booker Noe invented to get people shopping in the bourbon section...

Steve Beck
Aug 10, 2016

IPAs all the way

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

lemme guess?

(1)
Hal Bennick
Aug 11, 2016
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

What's the word?

(2)
Luis Carmona
May 02, 2018

Two years later I think I finally got this.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Pro tip: A cold Heineken will get rid of a hangover faster than a bottle of Advil.

Rian Schermerhorn
Aug 11, 2016

Being from the NW, a good IPA is always choice #1. Other craft beers, like reds, pales or sours are also fantastic. That said, there are preferred beverages for different occasions.

GOLF - Keep it light. Silver Bullet, BL Lime, ciders, etc.

DINNER - Wine for sure. Red or white depending on the meal.

HAPPY HOUR - Back to the beer...

ISC - A Red Bull & vodka to kick off a long night followed by light beers so as not to get too crazy.

Typically avoid the hard stuff...still haven't recovered from my first company Christmas party 20 years ago...LOL.

Jon Dillabaugh
Aug 11, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Am I the only guy who loves good beer, but hates IPAs? Way too hoppy for me. I'm a malted barley guy, all the way through.

I can even drink cheap Pilsner style beers in a pinch, but prefer to stick with dark lagers and ales. Seem to prefer English hops over all others too.

(2)
Mark Kirkeby
Aug 12, 2016

John,

You are on point

I love beer, it is a rare thing for me to drink a domestic beer, and would not consider one from a can,unless given to me with no other options. I stop when ever I can at local micro breweries and sample the beer, any state ,or city I visit I try to find a local beer, same thing through Europe, I drank alot of dark beers in Dublin, but OMFG what is this IPA , it is some kind of millennial fad of drinking horrible beer and telling each other how good it is , but it is rubbish , there is so much good well crafted beer out there that to drink over hopped bitter beer, alot of folks will not get to drink some awesome beers because they are in this IPA fad

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

...and would not consider one from a can, unless given to me with no other options.

+1 for the realism, I mean a beer's still a beer*

*except for PBR of course

Rian Schermerhorn
Aug 12, 2016

Blasphemy! Growing up in Oregon, it's all about the IPA, and that's only a fad everywhere else. It's been the norm for at least a couple decades here. And since Oregon is where the best beer comes from, it's only natural that the best type of beer would be prevalent. You'll catch on.

Luis Carmona
Aug 12, 2016

"Blasphemy!...."

I was wondering when the first shots of the Alcohol Jihad were going to be fired.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Aug 12, 2016

Interesting vote.

I drink both wine and beer. I chose wine because usually I drink beer only in summer. :) Wine is for other 3 seasons.

Jon Dillabaugh
May 02, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

I’ve recently started drinking bourbons. So far, favorites are Bullet and Makers Mark 46. I’m open for exploration, but think that bourbons could possibly occupy space reserved for tequilas. 

On that note, I’ve recently been introduced to tequila aged in bourbon barrels. I’m waiting to hear from Rian.... 

Sean Nelson
May 02, 2018
Nelly's Security

bullet bourbon is good but if you are going to drink like this, you may as well drink scotch. Start with Glenmorangie to begin with

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 02, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

I have a friend who is a whiskey aficionado that is going to take me on a taste tour of all the good whiskeys. I plan on trying some scotches then. 

U
Undisclosed #1
May 02, 2018
IPVMU Certified

bullet bourbon is good but if you are going to drink like this, you may as well drink scotch.

Always looking to import, eh?  

“Drink American!”  ;)

(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
May 02, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Try Elijah Craig. Smooth with a spice note to it. If you can find it then definitely try Weller's 12 year. Same mash build as Pappy but much less expensive. Problem is it is easier to find Pappy than Weller's 12 year.

SD
Shannon Davis
May 02, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Arrogant Bastard Ale.Arrogant Bastard Ale

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 02, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

Does it come me with a MAGA hat?

(2)
SD
Shannon Davis
May 02, 2018
IPVMU Certified

?????

(1)
Ari Erenthal
May 03, 2018
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I came in here to say something, realized it was an older post, scrolled through the back comments, and realize I'd already said it when it was first posted. 

Well done, younger me. 

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions