Subscriber Discussion

Off Topic: A Better Way To Do Online Video Advertising?

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Here's an idea, please tell me why it isn't better than the current methods of monetizing YouTube and other videos.

The most common way I see today is the 5 second ad with skip option.  Growing in popularity unfortunately seem to be ads without a skip, often 15 or 30 seconds.  Occasionally I get a survey question.

My idea is to combine aspects of all of those forms into an ad that can be skipped instantly, as long as you can answer an answer about the ad.

For instance a 30 second Cisco ad would start to play as normal but would also ask

"What is this ad about?"

1. Cisco's Reliability 
  2. Cisco's VMS 
  3. Cisco's Unmatched features

Answering the ad question correctly bypasses the ad completely.

What are the benefits?

1. Users don't have to wait at all for ads they have already seen.
  2. Advertisers incent users to remember the message of new ads so they can bypass them in the future.

Wouldn't this be better for everyone?

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 04, 2017

If I were in advertising I think your idea would hold merit in terms of making the ad interactive and memorable. As a user I would probably just be ticked off that the advertisement was trying to quiz me and would just install a pop-up blocker. Just my two cents.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 23, 2017
IPVM

I think that is a good idea for the same basic reason that answering a question significantly increases likelihood of recall and remembering rather than just zoning out and forgetting about the ad.

In that light, I created one for a hypothetical future Hikvision commercial:

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Visual Aid: (Answers edited for space)

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions