Subscriber Discussion

Odd Camera Array At My Post Office...

U
Undisclosed #1
May 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

3 progessively cheesier cameras at my post office, possibly a hanging microphone as well.

These apparently secure the entire building, and they appear to have different FOV's and there are no others in sight. 

Is this a best-of-breed setup using the ideal camera for each shot, or just reflective of the latest costco offer?

Note the vintage Panasonic PVM monitor, which supposedly fires a stream of charged particles from an "electron gun" that strikes a phosphor coated piece of glass, where some of the electrons are turned into particles of light, which along with the electrons that miss the phosphor, collide into your retina causing an image to form.   

(1)
JH
John Honovich
May 14, 2017
IPVM
U
Undisclosed #1
May 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The Feds have two specs; one big pelco ptz over each lane, or 3 ad-hoc cameras on a wall in the corner.

Maybe they should standardize on ChronoVus at each register:

JR
Jarad Regan
Jun 01, 2017

I love the monitor description. Think if I describe the giant Sony I've been trying to give away for two years now as an exciting "electron gun" model I will have better luck getting someone to carry it out of my garage?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Think if I describe the giant Sony...

If it's a Trinitron it's got the 3 in 1 mother-of-all electron guns, so should be no problem.

Maybe your local PO could use it?

(1)
Brandon Knutson
Jun 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I learned just the other day that most post offices are leased spaces and not owned by the USPS. Renters heart bad DIY.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I inquired yesterday about the three cameras.

Without blinking an eye, the guy says it's policy; one goes to the NSA, one to the FBI and one to the CIA.  

(3)
U
Undisclosed
Jun 02, 2017

Great Post! - I'd love to see a continuously running discussion that IPVM members add examples of poor installations of cameras and access control equipment/door hardware across the US and around the world....

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jun 02, 2017

The GC for the current USPS surveillance contract does not have an agreement to handle, remove, or replace legacy equipment.  Additionally, the USPS Inspection Service can install anything they want.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions