Subscriber Discussion

Hikvision NVR Vs Genetec Security Center

GF
Giancarlo Favero
Jul 10, 2017

We have an old installation of some 40 obsolete cameras running on Ganz software (running on an old obsolete server), that we want to replace with new digital cameras.

And we have a brande new system running Genetec Security Center with 9 Axis P1365-E cameras.

One option is to implement the new cameras (I am considering Axis P1425-LE Mk II bullet cameras, that at some 649,00 Euros + VAT I think is a good price/performance) on the Genetec System.

One vendor is proposing a completely different approach : using Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-I cameras (that at a mere 259,00 $ END USER PRICE including VAT is an exceptional price/performance: I have been using Hik DS-2CD2632F-I at some installations, and are even better than Axis P1425-LE Mk II bullet cameras,or than the Axis P1365-E cameras for that matter: more vivid colors, extremely detailed images and at night the images are very visible because of the powerful infrared leds):

https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2632F-I-Outdoor-Varifocal-Standard/dp/B00GFFPFEU

with a Hikvision NVR.

My question is : which are the major drawbacks and inconvenients that we might have using Hikvision NVRs instead of Genetec Security Center software ?

Thanks in advance for any answer or comments.

Giancarlo Favero

Mike Dotson
Jul 10, 2017
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

I would recommend using the search function on this site to look at the many discussions and tests done for these two VMSs.

Pay attention to the support structure and security issues as well as any other requirements that pertain to your local installation.

For example, how is camera support added?  How do you upgrade the software?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 10, 2017
IPVM

I have been using Hik DS-2CD2632F-I at some installations

Well, to the extent you want to use Hikvision cameras with a VMS / NVR, Genetec has drawbacks - higher, special licensing for Hikvision devices and a special license / disclaimer required (see Genetec Expels Hikvision).

As for video management capabilities, Genetec has vastly greater number of high-end features. The question is how many features / what type of scalability you need in your installations. One thing IPVM should do is a comparison across VMS / NVRs which would help better define what platforms do or no do not support.

(1)
GF
Giancarlo Favero
Jul 10, 2017

Hi John, thank for the reply.

My "fear" is that they are using/will use only a limited set of basic functionalities (my guess is that they will use use max 20% of what Genetec offers), so even a rather "poor" NVR will be enough for their needs.

Thank to everybody for the useful comments.

Giancarlo Favero

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions