Subscriber Discussion

NVR Mail In Rebate - Cheesy Or Clever?

SW
Sarit Williams
Sep 07, 2013
Speco Technologies released this ad offering a $50 rebate for each new NVR (NS/NSP Series) purchase. Is $50 for a ~$1500 NVR that great of an incentive?

JH
John Honovich
Sep 07, 2013
IPVM

Here's the rebate rules and the form you have to fill out. With the form, a receipt and "the original UPC/Serial # located on product box – no duplication or replication will be accepted," all you need to do then is wait "6-8 weeks for delivery of your rebate check."

Contrast to ConsumerAffairs.com position:

"While vendors have accelerated nearly every other aspect of the purchasing process in recent years -- from overnight shipping to 24/7 instant chat support -- rebates are still stuck in the stone age to discourage redemption."

Nothing quite says that crappy company like a tiny mail in rebate offer in 2013. Good job Speco but it still does not top your other ad:

Marty Major
Sep 08, 2013
Teledyne FLIR

True Plug & Work - UPnW

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 08, 2013

Small rebates like this are used to gain a database of users and installers. In this type of industry many installing dealers buy based on the "sale of the week" and distribution doesn't feed back to the manufacturer the actual purchaser. This manufacturer spends $50.00 to get a very valid and credible lead. Compared to the cost of other lead sources it makes good business sense. They would happily pay each and every rebate and likely limit it to one per company.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 08, 2013
IPVM

Wow, fascinating point!

Btw, while I certainly believe this - "many installing dealers buy based on the 'sale of the week'," I think we'd both agree it's a pretty short sighted practice for supporting customers / products long term.

SW
Sarit Williams
Sep 09, 2013

Speco responded to my price email with a list of 3 distributors. I called each of them and all 3 didn't have a clue as to this promotion, and told me they would actually have to call Speco themselves to find out about this promotion and this series of NVRs since they don't have any of them in stock. Wow!

Brian Rhodes
Sep 09, 2013
IPVMU Certified

This may be the case, but why make it so difficult to redeem then? Taking 6 - 8 weeks to process $50 doesn't seem like a motivated campaign to collect contacts.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but doesn't a company like Speco hire Reps/Rep firms to effectively do the same task?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions