Subscriber Discussion

NVMS7000/IVM4200 Server Nightmare

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 30, 2016

Good Morning!

So a little over a year ago I made what may have been the worst mistake of my career and tailored a solution for a good client to meet a budget, not stated objectives.  In order to do so I quoted a Dell server with IVMS4200 to record and manage 52 cameras.  It has been a total nightmare since day 1, as the Storage Server component of the software is constantly crashing.  We've rebuilt the server twice, experienced video loss on multiple occasions, and overall been made to look incompetent (which I can assure you we aren't).  It's happened again today, which of course coincides with a major incident last night.  I already have them primed for a migration to Spectrum, but they can't budget it until mid year so I need a holdover.  My specific question is this: are there any downsides to using the server as a NAS and configuring each camera to record to it?  I know it will take a good bit of config, but I feel that it should be much more stable and reliable than the storage server.  Thoughts?  

UI
Dec 30, 2016

One issue I'm a bit worried about is per camera storage.  Having a hard time determining how to regulate that without doing each folder a partition.

PK
Patrick Kelly
Dec 30, 2016

Full Disclosure: I work for Digital Watchdog

UI#1

We are open to discussing a temporary licence plan with you, if that helps.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss. 

Best Regards - Patrick 

UI
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks Patrick!  Definitely going this route!  

UI
Dec 30, 2016

Ok, so we've switched the client over which took about 3 hours of remote configuration.  My client is blown away, and is positively giddy at the moment.  In fact, he's so happy he already pushed through the budget request for the permanent upgrade.  Happy ending all around!

(1)
(1)
Vincent Tong
Dec 30, 2016

Perhaps nicely ask the nice guys at Network Optix for a extended trial demo for your 52 cameras until the budget is established in a few months so you can make the migration now.  What you are proposing for the temporary fix could be a major headache.

RS
Robert Shih
Dec 30, 2016
Independent

52 cameras...not a big number... Was there also a long term storage requirement? How many TBs are currently in the RAID and what RAID?
Is the storage being used for anything else?

Is access control a factor? If not, I really don't see why you jumped to a VMS so quickly.

An embedded NVR is actually more reliable in this instance.

Is there a particular reason why a DS-9664NI-I16 didn't work in this case?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 31, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Is there a particular reason why a DS-9664NI-I16 didn't work in this case?

You can't upgrade them to Spectrum ;)

(1)
(2)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Dec 31, 2016
IPVMU Certified

You should have considered the embedded units with such a relatively small quantity of cameras. We have installed, I am sure 100's of the embedded units (many RAID 5) without any major complications and all are still running today. Dump the DELL, save licensing costs and get yourself a 9664 OR the 96128 if you have any plans for expanding the system. Both machines are very easy to set-up and NO License fees will help with the costs. Sorry you had a bad experience, have the cameras worked as needed?

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 31, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Is nvms7000 the same thing as ivms4200?

Kyle Folger
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Well considering the cost of the NVR and the loss of a Dell, I don't see how that would be better than just paying for some Spectrum licenses that provide software that is far easier to use than Hikvision embedded software or 4200. Spectrum may not have every feature since it is newer to the game, but the end user experience in my opinion is superior to anything I have seen from Hikvision. There is a reason though since you pay for that better experience.

I'm in no way implying that Hikvision isn't usable since I have installed their products as well as Dahua's products. Above 16 cameras though, I'd much rather use Spectrum. I would use Spectrum on even a few cameras...IF playback was going to be done more than once or twice a month.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Dec 31, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Spectrum saves the day! 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions