Subscriber Discussion

No More Podcasts?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 09, 2016

Is IPVM going to do any more podcasts in the near future? The back and forth discussion is great to hear. It is so much more dynamic than the articles. It is particularly interesting when the discussion is regarding industry trends and insights.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
May 09, 2016
IPVM

You're in the minority... :)

We'll do more but we did not get a ton of feedback or overall listening to them so it was back burnered.

Here are the 3 we did last year:

If more of you are interested, let us know. Also, suggest a topic.

U
Undisclosed #2
May 14, 2016

Seems like I'm in the minority. Is it possible to do a podcast quarterly? Or just do 2 podcasts, one in the first half of the year and another in the second half.

JH
John Honovich
May 14, 2016
IPVM

I am not against doing podcasts but, since overall interest is so low, I do not want to commit to a certain schedule.

I do think we will do 2 podcasts in 2016 but I am not sure when.

U
Undisclosed #3
May 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

...since overall interest is so low...

Maybe having them transcribed automatically and added to the search results would raise visibility?

Also, you might consider using the podcast facility to create an "audio response" to popular, recurring questions.

JH
John Honovich
May 15, 2016
IPVM

Maybe having them transcribed automatically and added to the search results would raise visibility?

A transcribed podcast is essentially a poorly written out report. I'd rather us write a good quality, well edited original report.

Internally, we are quite careful / methodical about what we write, so just saying things free flow would be far easier to do but not best for quality.

U
Undisclosed #3
May 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

A transcribed podcast is essentially a poorly written out report. I'd rather us write a good quality, well edited original report.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing here. I mean taking your audio track after the podcast is recorded and having it turned into text automatically using a service. NPR does this.

The purpose is not to read it end to end necesarily, but just to make it searchable.

Either way, you should consider doing this on the audio tracks from all the videos you have already created. There's a lot of important stuff in those that people never discover because they don't watch the video cover to cover.

If you are concerned about the quality of the transciption you can just link to the time of the podcast/video that hopefully contains the phrase, without providing the underlying text.

Matt Leonard
May 16, 2016

Count me in the group that would love to have regular podcasts, but didn't even know yous guys had put any out. Do you have them up on Apple, Google Play, or Stitcher? With the amount of windshield time incurred by the majority of the industry, I would think they would be a hit. I regularly listen to a podcast called "The Security Guy" that was recently added to iTunes. While I like it because its the only show in town, i think the content from IPVM would be much better.

JH
John Honovich
May 16, 2016
IPVM

Do you have them up on Apple, Google Play, or Stitcher?

No because we do not give away our content.

I regularly listen to a podcast called "The Security Guy"

I think those are well done and much more entertaining than trade magazine articles but those are literally ads for companies, ergo why they can be given away for free.

It comes down to a resource issue. There's only so much time. We do more podcasts, it means less tests and reports. And while there may be a niche who like podcasts, overall it does not compare to those reading reports.

John Bazyk
May 16, 2016
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

I love listening to podcasts. Honestly, I would pay for regular informative podcasts. I don't have much time to sit down and read, so I listen to books and podcasts in the car and at the gym.

JH
John Honovich
May 16, 2016
IPVM

John, that's interesting. My intuition is the other. Because I am busy, I don't have the time to listen to a one hour anything but I do have a few minutes to scan an article.

What frustrates me with podcasts is you have no way to know what is valuable sans for continuing to listen and hope for something interesting eventually.

With writing, you can summarize the key point up front and strip out or shift lower level details to later.

John Bazyk
May 16, 2016

John, I am in the car a lot. Sometimes for 1-2 hours a day. I am at the gym for at least an hour every day. For me, listing is the best way to get news/education.

I don't listen to many podcasts, most of them are worthless. However, to me, the ones that are good are great and worth the time.

I agree with your statement about summarizing upfront. That is how I figure out what IPVM articles are worth my time. Typically I scan them when they're emailed and open later at the office when I have a few minutes.

For you guys to do a podcast right, it would require a lot of work/time you probably don't have right now.

JH
John Honovich
May 16, 2016
IPVM

For you guys to do a podcast right

What do you think consists of doing a podcast right?

John Bazyk
May 16, 2016

There're a few components that go into a great podcast.

1. Great microphones, so the podcast is enjoyable to listen too. I turn off podcasts with poor audio quality regardless of the content.
2. A script for general content. Getting on and rambling for 15-60 minutes is not going to be entertaining for anyone. A podcast doesn't have to be long, many of my favorite podcasts are less than 15 min. But they're well scripted so I learn exactly what they want me to learn.
3. Release podcasts regularly. Twice a month at least. If it isn't regular, no one will remember you. I am subscribed to a few podcasts and the ones that only come around once every few months are on the bottom of my list because they're terrible at podcasting. They're terrible because they never do it.
4. People to interview almost every podcast. Listening to you and your team is great, but bringing in outside commentators would be key to your success. Fortunately for you, you have a whole pool of professionals/end users to choose from...it's ok to keep people anonymous.

Take a listen to these guys, they know how to do it right.

http://freakonomics.com

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions