Subscriber Discussion

Technician Cannot Do Ladder Work - How To Handle This?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 29, 2016

I figure some people here have probably dealt with this sort of thing and can be helpful in providing some guidance and options.

I have a technician in his first year with us, plenty of industry experience, very good at his job. However, due to a combination of pre-existing condition and a work injury, he is on a no ladder work restriction until further notice. Resolution of the issue could take months, if ever resolved, with physical therapy involved and likely continued restrictions on his activity. The majority of our work is ladder work.

He is mentoring a trainee as well, and is basically pointing and having the trainee do the work right now unless it can be done on the ground. How have others dealt with a situation like this where a valued employee becomes severely limited, there is a commitment to them, but there is not a budget to deal with lost productivity of almost an entire employee and there doesnt seem to be an obvious reassignment that provides enough hours or value?

(1)
(1)
Ari Erenthal
Nov 29, 2016

We had a guy like that once. We made him the finisher. He terminated jacks, wired up punchdown blocks and alarm panels, and crimped BNCs. Eventually, he became really, really fast at it. So he continued in this role even after his leg healed. I no longer work for that company, but it's my understanding that they still use the system, with one pair of techs running cables, another pair of techs terminating and doing the finishing work, and a third pair of techs running service calls.

Is that a possibility? Have one technician run wires with the apprentice, and have this guy do everything on the ground?

(3)
(4)
UI
Nov 30, 2016

Ive thought about this and I am unsure how we would use him to finish when the majority of cameras are high up. Even for focusing and aiming and terminations, it seems that ladder work is inevitable. Im being told he cant even use a single step stool. (its vague if he is allowed to use a lift as he would technically have to step up to the lift, no?)

Ive thought about putting him into service calls and service, but there doesnt seem to be enough work for a fulltime guy unless he can run all the service calls that require getting up to a camera or above a drop ceiling for example.

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Its vague if he is allowed to use a lift as he would technically have to step up to the lift, no?)

Does/can he walk up stairs?

UI
Nov 30, 2016

I see where you are going with this. The actual doctors order says "no ladder work". Employee seems to be ok with climbing onto a lift, and he has stairs at home so... The action causing him problems is with climbing steps. Climbing one step is bound to be better than climbing a ladder all day, and not specifically prohibited.

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Would he be allowed to use a mini-scissor lift like this?

This ones about $6,000, made by Ballymore.

(1)
(1)
UI
Nov 30, 2016

may seem funny, but Ive been considering it.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Nov 30, 2016

You can check out the JLG Liftpod, it's small enough to move around and cheap enough to consider.

Check this out FT70

(3)
U
Undisclosed #4
Dec 01, 2016

(1)
(16)
UI
Dec 01, 2016

ok, this wins.

U
Undisclosed
Dec 09, 2016

I would never use this. It is very likely it could nick the cable.

UE
Undisclosed End User #5
Dec 01, 2016

If he cannot perfrom his duties then he needs to go out on short term disability, that is what its for.

(2)
(1)
Ari Erenthal
Dec 02, 2016

Good technicians are hard to find, though. Like, really, really hard.

(2)
JG
John Grocke
Dec 05, 2016

Consider training him as a superintendent, project manager, or engineer.

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This is my thought, and it also depends on the size of the company. The smaller the company, the more versatile/universal your techs need to be. It is hard to imagine a tech in the field not being able to use a ladder or step stool.

Maybe staging/programming and estimating?

Sales??? I should know better than to suggest this, as in all my experience technicians usually are not good sales people but it may be worth a look.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Dec 05, 2016

We had a guy like this and we got a wide step ladder so he could do basic stuff around doors. The steps are wide enough to support his entire foot so it is just like standing on the ground. Here is an example:

MT
Matt Transue
Dec 09, 2016

First, I admire your commitment to your employee, though they are currently limited in their value. It's hard to find companies that will do right by their employees and stand by the good ones.

Maybe a combination of internal service support and in-house training for new techs?

This would help split up the time so he can fill his day and remain productive.

Maybe he could mock up various install environments and show field techs the proper way to install, terminate, focus, dress cables, etc. He can do all of this in-house and simply in a room but can continue to add value for your organization. He can also train end users on how to use their system. This, of course, assumes he is good at speaking to customers and can provide a valuable training...which I know is not a great assumption for most.

Maybe list out his core strengths and see how many of them can be accomplished in hour or on site at floor level.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions