Nigeria Accuses Chinese Company Of $470 Million Fraud

JH
John Honovich
Jul 07, 2013
IPVM

A few months ago we discussed whether a 10,000 camera Nigerian highway project was doomed to fail. Today, I found a news report on an investigation into a $470 million Nigerian CCTV project. One claim was that,

"Some of the materials deployed for the critical national security infrastructure are of low quality compared to what is used in China."

Another claimed the cameras were 'fake'.

Anyone know anything about this?

Below is a picture of one installed camera, shared on Flickr:

Robert Baxter
Jul 08, 2013

John:

What is the reason for the davits on both these cameras? Make maintenance more challenging, prevent tampering from the public climbing poles...

JH
John Honovich
Jul 08, 2013
IPVM

Robert, I did not notice that. Good question! Maybe it is to make it harder to tamper with the cameras? It does not seem functionally necessary to have the cameras extended out a meter from the pole.

BH
Bohan Huang
Jul 08, 2013

For that price I am surprised no solar panels were provided.

And where are the wireless antennas?

And why are there two stupid cables hanging out the bottom of the enclosure? Thas just inviting vandalism.

The davit for the PTZ makes some sense - it permits the PTZ to see more in the trunk's direction.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions