Subscriber Discussion

New Nest Indoor Cam With 4K Sensor, Face Recognition

Brian Karas
May 31, 2017
IPVM

New "Nest Cam IQ" indoor model has a 4K sensor. Video is still 1080p, but sensor allows for high-res snapshot images and some amount of digital pan/zoom.

They also added a face recognition feature (with subscription) that can be used for alerts for known people.

$299 price, ships in about a month, according to their website.

We have pre-ordered one for testing and will publish a report when it ships, but I wanted to put up this discussion for any preliminary comments or discussion on it.

(2)
(2)
MM
Michael Miller
May 31, 2017

Any idea why you can't use the Face alerts in Illinois?

(1)
Brian Karas
May 31, 2017
IPVM

You caught that too. I was doing some Googling to try and find out, not sure why that is, and/or if it impacts any other kind of VSaaS/cloud storage in IL.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 01, 2017
IPVM

It's the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act. Key section of the law:

No private entity may collect, capture, purchase, receive through trade, or otherwise obtain a person's or a customer's biometric identifier or biometric information, unless it first: (1) informs the subject or the subject's legally authorized representative in writing that a biometric identifier or biometric information is being collected or stored; (2) informs the subject or the subject's legally authorized representative in writing of the specific purpose and length of term for which a biometric identifier or biometric information is being collected, stored, and used; and (3) receives a written release executed by the subject of the biometric identifier or biometric information or the subject's legally authorized representative. [emphasis added]

Since Nest is doing this automatically, without any disclosure or attempt at agreement, they would likely be violating this law (if allowed in Illinois).

Interesting impact of it.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Jun 01, 2017

Instresting... Wonder how this effects other Biometric/Face detection solutions. 

JH
John Honovich
Jun 01, 2017
IPVM

Access control using biometrics, I would suspect, is not a problem because that requires an enrollment process so they can add the waiver / form to that.

The problem with video surveillance is that, by design, it is meant to be passive / uncooperative, so it's fundamentally impossible to run one unless you make everyone going into the area with the facial recognition being used sign a waiver before doing so (e.g., corporations that require all guests to sign in, etc.). But you certainly could not do it at a pizzeria or a mall or the front of your house, since all of those areas the public can bass by without signing a waiver, etc.

NH
Nicolas Heyman
Jun 01, 2017

I am looking forward to getting one of these and tearing it down. 6 processors seems excessive especially when google has the cash, manpower, software expertise and ip to put a VP9 based SOC in there. 

Ethan Ace
Jun 01, 2017

The digital autotracking (aka "Supersight") is interesting to me. It's a feature I'm surprised more manufacturers don't include.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Jun 01, 2017

VideoIQ used to have this built into View software and I found it to be very useful to draw your attention to the detected object.  I would love to see this in Avigilon ACC with analytics. 

JH
John Honovich
Jun 02, 2017
IPVM

Evidently Nest is using Qualcomm's chip, I presume the Snapdragon since it's the most applicable to their camera.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 02, 2017
IPVM

The Nest overview video for this has gotten a fairly meager sub 12,000 views since it was announced 2 days ago and the comments are brutal.

First the video embedded:

And the top comments, negative so far:

(1)
BJ
Bruce JB
Mar 03, 2018

Has anyone found a system like Nest that gives facial alerts at a similar price point?  

I know it can be done with a VMS or analytics device but I'm looking for something around this price point.  

We have residential clients ask specifically for Nest cameras because they seen the face alerts and I'd like to offer them the same feature set in a professional grade system that isn't 10x the price.  TIA!

NOTICE: This comment has been moved to its own discussion: Residential Systems That Generate Facial Alerts?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions