Subscriber Discussion

Guessing Avigilon Trans4mation Teaser

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 08, 2014

Starting yesterday, Avigilon has been tweeting about a big reveal planned for Jan 15.

I'm not aware of them using this kind of tactic before.

Are others in the industry doing this and does anyone care to take a shot at what they might be referring to?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 08, 2014
IPVM

My guess - A higher pixel count (40 something MP), higher frame rate, JPEG2000 camera based on newer Canon DSLR chips.

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 08, 2014

I agree it must be product related as it couldn't be anything material in a financial sense. If that were the case, they wouldn't be going about it this way and would simply have issued a press release without giving any advanced notice.

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 08, 2014

Come to think of it, it most likely will have something to do with Redcloud and access control integration into ACC. They did say that they had that planned for Q1 2014. Unless they have another surprise in store.

Brian Rhodes
Jan 09, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Nah. The tweets would've included visual clues of a mess of tinkertoys on top of a stack of 32 NVRs with a fingerprint image in the background.

SB
Steve Bukoski
Jan 08, 2014

I do not think it has anything to do with VideoIQ. I was on the phone with the VideoIQ regional manager discussing some questions and concerns about the acquisition and was told that there were no immediate plans to change the VideoIQ model. But, you never know. It's possible that being from VideoIQ she may not even be privy to their plans.

CD
Chris Dearing
Jan 09, 2014

Avigilon @VideoIQ’s analytics solution is transforming the future of smart #surveillance and will complement Avigilon's innovative products (4/4)
8 days ago [Double Emphasis Added]

A clue or a misdirect?

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 09, 2014

Good point. It could be it does have something to do with VideoIQ - transforming #trans4mation - but I'm wondering what more there might be to say on that front only two weeks after the acquisition announcement that they would use this type of tactic.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 09, 2014

"I'm not aware of them using this kind of tactic before."

- this isn't the first time they've used this style of teaser - they did the same thing back in March when they ran teaser tweets for their Adaptive IR HD domes:

3 days out

2 days out

1 day out

Reveal

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 09, 2014

I hadn't noticed those.

Looking at the graphics they're using here, they seem to be referring to something about getting in better shape or maybe slimmer. Threadmill. Mirror. A new form factor? It will be interesting to see what other clues they put out there in the lead up to the 15th. By the number of days left until then, there will probably be a lot more than three this time around.

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Jan 09, 2014
IPVMU Certified

higher mp, smaller body size and h.264 is my guess...

CD
Chris Dearing
Jan 09, 2014

higher mp, smaller body size and h.264 is my guess...

Not trying to "one-up" you but, higher mp, smaller body size and h.265 is mine...

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 09, 2014
CD
Chris Dearing
Jan 09, 2014

A wise man once said:

Take every post by "Undisclosed (#2125224)" with two very large grains of salt.

;)

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Jan 09, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I will believe you when I see your post :)

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Jan 09, 2014
IPVMU Certified

it could also have something to do with ACC4 and the migration to ACC5...

CD
Chris Dearing
Jan 09, 2014

Then we are both saying the same thing, a TRANS-5-MATION.

AK
Alex K
Jan 09, 2014

Looks like the marketing is working

HL
Horace Lasell
Jan 09, 2014

Atuomated sports analysis through video analytics (mirror: watching oneself and treadmill: performance)?

U
Undisclosed #3
Jan 09, 2014

I think the company overall is transforming somehow. The image of the camera on the treadmill and looking in the mirror isn't about just cameras. That image has been used to represent Avigilon in a lot of their marketing material, so here it's been used in that sense. They are not just announcing a new camera, they are chaning the whole company.

The 4 is going to refer to the other acquisition they made after VideoIQ, with the other part of the money they raised. So far Avigilon has:

CCTV (The core Avigilon product)

Access Control (Redcloud)

Analytics (VideoIQ).

Now they'll add the 4th missing component to making a full security end-to-end play. Probably routers, switches, power supplies, something like that. I've heard things about MOOG being up for acquisition, maybe Avigilon bought MOOG? That would give them a lot of missing odds n' ends in their product lineup.

MR
Mike Ridgley
Jan 09, 2014

Edge solution? Camera looking at itself. Camera on treadmill to indicate that the cameras are undergoing a transformation.

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 09, 2014

The post Holiday fitness trend continues. The camera is finally sweating today.

JH
John Honovich
Jan 09, 2014
IPVM

I have a new guess - the 4 emphasizes H4, the 4th generation of their H.264 cameras. Currently, they are at H3 so this would make sense. I am not sure why they are using pictures of their PRO cameras if that's the case.....

Ethan Ace
Jan 09, 2014

Well it's a lot like the demos they do. Put a 29MP PRO camera up and show it to the user, then pull the ol' switcheroo and put in a 1MP H.264 model!

AK
Alex K
Jan 09, 2014

Curious where you have seen this?

CD
Chris Dearing
Jan 10, 2014

Although not a demo per se, Ethan's claim is certainly not undercut by this evocative incident...

CD
Chris Dearing
Jan 10, 2014

Maybe they are showing the PRO because they're going the other way!

4K camera w/ H.264(5)

Final answer.

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 10, 2014

Looks like they're hitting the books and getting smarter today. It could have something to do with the VideoIQ acquisition after all.

Not wanting to show my age, but looking at the trend, I'm wondering if this might not have been an inspiration for this campaign. Nice tie in either way.

Image preview

Hal Bennick
Jan 10, 2014
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

Looks like they are releasing a giant frickin' camera or home gymn gear....

U
Undisclosed #3
Jan 11, 2014

Maybe the camera is there for scale and they are releasing TINY gym gear.

TR
Tim Russell
Jan 13, 2014

I think they're marketing a camera that can see through walls, 'run' at 5000fps, lift heavy things and claim to be more knowledgable than the operator. The next pictures will probably be of it doing CPR on someone and flying a helicopter, they cut slide with Pinochio out ...

JH
John Honovich
Jan 13, 2014
IPVM

Oh boy, that's funny! Prepare to be downvoted into oblivion by overly sensitive Avigilon dealers... (my comment too)

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 13, 2014

That sorta sounds like my Six Million Dollar Man comparison, with Pinocchio as a bonus.

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 13, 2014

This one seems to be self explanatory. Better stream management tools?

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 14, 2014

Looks like this is the final clue. A new form factor seems more and more likely, but if they've been teasing about this #trans4formation and #bigreveal for over a week, there's certainly got to be more to it than that.

JH
John Honovich
Jan 15, 2014
IPVM

One thing that's good about Avigilon's approach here is that they are doing it completely unconnected to a show, which is something a lot of older manufacturers are still hung up on, i.e. let's release it on the first day of ISC West, when most buyers are out at meetings, parties, etc.

This way, Avigilon maximizes attention to itself rather than competing with the noise of an event and a bunch of other releases.

CD
Chris Dearing
Jan 15, 2014

...Avigilon's approach here is that they are doing it completely unconnected to a show, which is something a lot of older manufacturers are still hung up on...

Maybe they are really gonna innovate and not even "connect" it to a press release...

Forunately Eric Quessenberry thinks we are all really gonna like it!

One more day to the big #Trans4mation announcement we have. I think you all will really like it. Avigilon is always innovating.

Maybe they are just waiting for the exchange to close so as not to roil the market?

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 15, 2014

I think you're probably right about the timing of the announcement and that we're likely to get the full details after 4 PM ET.

As far as the press release is concerned, I'd say its a given, securities market rules being what they are.

The market can wait until tomorrow to be roiled. ;)

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 15, 2014

Looks like they decided to put it out before market close.

They just announced their next-generation HD Pro Camera series on the H4 platform.

Good call John!

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 15, 2014

Good point John. - By using this strategy, they fill the void if there isn't anything else as newsworthy out and about for the industry, getting a much larger share of the attention then they would otherwise.

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 15, 2014

Glad you had the article ready so quickly.

Their website is being swamped with requests right now and the page is taking forever to load. ;)

JH
John Honovich
Jan 15, 2014
IPVM

I doubt it's being 'swamped.' It's got to be a technical issue. We've been on the front page of Reddit and Hacker News, handling huge loads and never went down.

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 15, 2014

You may be right. I was able to get it OK just now. Strange concidence.

CD
Chris Dearing
Jan 15, 2014

Probably just the info 'roil' as a thousand algorythmic trading bots try to decipher the 'Trans4mation' announcement in regards to Avigilon's short term trading outlook. .

Company news in electronic text format is available from many sources including commercial providers like Bloomberg, public news websites, and Twitter feeds. Automated systems can identify company names, keywords and sometimes semantics to trade news before human traders can process it. -Wikipedia, emphasis added.

Wonder how the embedded '4' affected their score..

Anyway, Cheers to John for a direct bulls-eye prediction!

And anyone who even dare insinuate that John had any 'inside line' for his divination is no doubt just bitter about their own failure...

JH
John Honovich
Jan 15, 2014
IPVM

I was wrong about it being 40MP.... but right about it being PRO series and being called H4.

AB
Alain Bolduc
Jan 15, 2014

I don't know about everybody else, but I can't say I was putting much stock in the 40MP part of your prediction.

Hang onto that for the next iteration. ;)

TR
Tim Russell
Jan 15, 2014

I'm struggling to see what's so amazing here, all they've done is contradict themselves about JPEG2000 (as mentioned in IPVM's article) and not mentioned what the framerate increase is yet. Bosch are launching 4k cameras in the first 2 quarters of this year with 30fps.

They too will have 8/12MP resolutions but with a live framerate at 4k. I'm sure it will be at a lower price than these would be. smoke and mirrors ... smoke and mirrors ...

JH
John Honovich
Jan 15, 2014
IPVM

I think what they are claiming is that they are delivering JPEG2000's benefits (of breaking up streams) with the bandwidth savings of H.264. It's still not clear to me how they are accomplishing this (as we are discussing on the new release thread). If they have developed some novel way to do this (not simply mutlistreaming and transcoding), it could be a big deal.

AK
Alex K
Jan 15, 2014

It will be intresting to see how many 4K 30FPS streams a client mechine can handle. 1 maybe 2 max?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 15, 2014
IPVM

Other VMSes will presumably use multi-streaming and transcoding, like Avigilon, yes/no?

AK
Alex K
Jan 16, 2014

Do you know other VMSes which can do "HDSM" on playback ?

CD
Chris Dearing
Jan 16, 2014

Define HDSM

What are the name of its processes?

Where do they execute?

What network protocols are used?

What codecs are used?

How much of what they speak about has yet to be implemented?

AK
Alex K
Jan 16, 2014

Chris,

I am sure John will gladly answer all of your ??

JH
John Honovich
Jan 16, 2014
IPVM

Alex, no other VMS implements the marketing term of Avigilon. Thank you.

AK
Alex K
Jan 16, 2014

Jonh,

If you know please tell me

which other VMSes can intelligently manages streams during remote playback ?

Thank you

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions