Subscriber Discussion

Networking Issue -- Cannot Access Camera From Server - What To Do?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 13, 2017

So I have a strange issue going on at one customer site.  

Here is the layout:

Milestone VMS

Windows 7 Pro

12 Cameras - 192.168.202.xxx /24 network

Server has 2 NICs.  One going to the customer LAN the other to the Camera VLAN listed above.

Managed switch.

All cameras have been working fine for months until I got a call today.  One of the camera which is a Axis P3904-R is no longer responding from the server.  I cannot ping the camera at all.  I then logged into the switch to see if it just needed rebooted but I can still ping the camera from the switch without any issue.  If I hook up my laptop to the switch I can access the camera just fine.  On the server I ran a arp -a and the IP is showing the correct MAC address in the arp table.  But I still cannot access the camera from the server.

I have verified that the port the camera goes to on the switch is in the correct VLAN so that isn't the issue.  It seems like it is something with Windows that is preventing the communication.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

-Adam

JA
Josh Aldridge
Jul 13, 2017

Was routing recently turned on at the switch?  If so does the camera have default gateway (switch VLAN IP)?

Dave Arnould
Jul 13, 2017

Sounds like a gateway issue if you can ping the camera from the switch but not the server.

(1)
Luis Carmona
Jul 15, 2017
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

1. What are the IP addresses of both NIC's including, the Gateway addresses.

2. You say one NIC is connected to the customer LAN, and the other to the camera VLAN. Are both connections to the same switch? If it's a different switch, is the camera network the only physical things on this network?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 16, 2017

Are there any firewalls? If so are there any changes to the access rules?

Jeffrey Hinckley
Jul 17, 2017

Make sure the server nic on the camera network is on same subnet.  Make sure there is no gateway configured on this side.  Can you ping the cameras from the server, and, if so, can you access the cameras by browser from the server.

We had Axis firmware problems last year at multiple sites which would cause cameras to go offline after random intervals (but could be pinged).  Reboot all cameras to see if they come back up.  If they do, upgrade firmware.

(1)
(1)
Rick Hall
Jul 17, 2017

See above.  I had this same problem and new firmware was the answer.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions