Subscriber Discussion

Network Cameras / Recorders For 2 Building?

KC
Kevin Confer
Feb 23, 2016

Hi, I am an IT person being asked to help propose a camera system for one of our locations. I am not a security camera professional but I'm learning.

We have a 2 building facility connected by fiber and Cisco 3500 switch. The main building will have 34 cameras. The second building will have 9 cameras.

Is there a system that would allow the connection of the cameras in Building 1 directly to the DVR and the cameras on building 2 to be connected via the network to the DVR in Building 1?

We have Cisco 3500 switches that the DVR would be connected to in Building 1.

I am trying to save purchasing additional Cisco network switches for Building 1 for the 34 cameras.

We would also like 3 "Viewing Stations" in Building 1 which would be connected to the network via CAT 6.

Any suggestions?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Feb 23, 2016

As long as devices in one building can communicate with the other then there isn't a need for anything special there (as long as you use IP cameras). Any system should be able to handle this. Security camera NVR, VMS, DVR etc just need a data connection to the camera. If it's stable between your two buildings then treat the cameras like they're all on one LAN.

As long as you can power the cameras (poe injectors work) and the camera bandwidth isn't going to saturate your fiber connection between the two buildings treat them like nearly any other device on your network.

Again, my comment doesn't work for HD-Analog cameras, but if you're planning IP (as you probably should so you can use your existing infrastructure) then there's nothing to worry about.

(1)
KC
Kevin Confer
Feb 24, 2016

Are there DVR's that I can directly connect the 34 cameras in building 1 to? And have it connected via the network to building 2 and "viewing stations"? Building 1 does not have enough open ports for the 34 cameras on the 3500.

John Scanlan
Feb 24, 2016
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

I am not familiar with a DVR that includes an integrated 48 port switch (maybe 16 or so), but you may want to reconsider swapping your current 3500 for a 3500 with 48 ports (or just adding another 3500 with your exiting 3500). A replacement or additional 3500 could be as cheap as $50...copy config from the old, paste to new, change a few settings (IP, name, etc).

KC
Kevin Confer
Feb 24, 2016

That's exactly what we just did... purchased a 48 port switch. Room to grow..... Thanks

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Maybe we should take a step back since adding 34 channels of video on a shared network could be a considerable additional load.

Even assuming a VLAN, the fiber port will still need to handle the sum of the added video traffic in addition to what it has already. Will there be enough?

Jeffrey Hinckley
Feb 24, 2016

If you deploy a video server, where there are 34 cameras, dual NIC, you can use something like two layer 2 200watt+ switches, 10/100 ports, Gigabit uplink ports, (500each??) connected to the isolated NIC. Connect the other NIC to your data network. VLAN the cameras on the other side to another 2 layer switch on the 9 camera side. You would only be using two of the 3500 switch ports to do this, each configured for an isolated non-routed VLAN. This would only load your network with the 9 cameras, or probably at most .02% of a Gigabit network.

Use whatever brand of server you like (Dell, HP) with adequate storage on for the cameras you plan to deploy. (You would probably need 8+ TB of video storage, preferably in a RAID 5/6 config, just for these cameras to be installed, depending on location, resolution requirements, motion or continuous, light levels, etc). You can use software such as Exacq, Milestone, etc. This all depends on how you will use the system. Using something like a vendor specific server (for example, a Hikvision 64 channel 8 TB server would be probably about $5000) would work, if you only have basic recording and viewing needs. You would have to use Hikvision cameras ($200 interior, $800 exterior, $2000 PTZ - all depending on applications) A software based VMS server would probably run you the same cost, but you would need to add licenses, at $125-200 each normally. This would raise your cost by another $5000-8000. You could use devices like Husky or Exacqvision branded servers, but you can generally get more bang for your buck with your own custom servers.

You can use any PC as a workstation. Preferably with an independent video card.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions