Subscriber Discussion

Need To Encode And Have Local Viewing

JH
Jay Hobdy
Nov 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

A client has numerous DVR's with analog cameras throughout the facility that have a local monitor. They now want to have the cameras come to the main head end and connect to the primary VMS. No problem, we can use an encoder at the DVR and connect to the network. But they still want to see the cameras locally at the encoder. Could we just split the analog signal before the DVR, and have one signal go to the encoder, and the other go to the DVR and keep their local monitor?

John Bazyk
Nov 22, 2017
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

We’ve been doing this recently with DVRs and pulling the RTSP stream from them for the VMS. Works very well. We’ve done it for some places where operators are running machinery remotely and need live video from the analog cameras but HQ wants everything recorded in the main VMS. The DW TVI encoder is really nice. Not sure if it’s ONVIF yet tho. Works well with NX/Spectrum. 

JH
Jay Hobdy
Nov 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

This is exactly the application we are looking at. They need live view for the line, but recording on main VMS. We have to integrate with a new to us VMS so I am trying to keep it simple. DW/Spectrum is not an option.

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 26, 2017

Which VMS?  

JH
Jay Hobdy
Nov 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Symphony. They already have 30+ cameras with some other integrations. The thin client you suggested should be a perfect fit here since they are from the same manufacturer

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 26, 2017
Very cool. I always liked Aimetis. Looking forward to hearing your feedback.
MM
Michael Miller
Nov 22, 2017

These work very well.  If you stick with the analog DVR and use it as a display what happens when they upgrade to IP?  With this Aimetis box, you can display any camera on the network on the monitor. 

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Nov 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks, that should work perfectly.

As far as IP cameras go, that was a weird conversation.

Me: I like to design systems with future expansion in mind, so that means we may overbuild the server or include equipment that has extra capacity.

Client: Will that affect price?

Me: Yes

Client: Well let's just do the bare minimum so we can compare apples to apples and get it approved. We will deal with upgrades at a later time.

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 26, 2017

For customers like that I usually give them a FREE IP camera.  Once they see the HD camera compared to the Analog cameras they start opening up their wallets.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Nov 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

They have a mix of IP and analog, so they know the difference.

We do not give cameras away, (not that we would be opposed to it given the right opportunity) but we do have some before and after videos of analog, HD and 4MP IP from the same camera location. Usually gets a lot of oohs and awwss but not enough to open wallets...

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Usually gets a lot of oohs and awwss but not enough to open wallets...

Wait, are you saying that you are usually selling just SD cameras?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Nov 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

On brand new installs, always IP.

On existing analog installs, it depends on several variables such as coax cable, cat5 with baluns, is it one camera per Cat5 or two cameras etc. We almost always wind up going with HD. Sometimes we walk into a project, half the cameras are down, images bleed, images are wavy and we recommend new lines with IP cameras.

We are in a very tough vertical, apartment communities.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions