Subscriber Discussion

Need Source For High-Quality Outdoor Patch Cords

JH
Jerome Humery
Feb 02, 2015

I need some high-quality outdoor patch cords (6-10 ft.) to connect to a pair of Ubiquiti Powerbeams in a harsh marine environment. So far, the only source I could find is americanteledata.com.

Does anybody have any experience with that company and/or their cables?

Does anybody have another source they would recommend?

Brian Rhodes
Feb 02, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I've used Hubbell Hi-Impact cables before (you can order them in 3', 5', 7', 10' factory terminated lengths), but I believe a better performing option is to run standard cabling in hard conduit and seal things up tight.

Even double-jacketed and UV rated cables crack and split after a few years. I'm not familiar with marine/corrosive environments, but the sight of bare cable jackets in vulnerable spots just sort of looks weird.

(2)
JH
Jerome Humery
Feb 02, 2015

That was my first thought, but then I looked at the Ubiquiti end of things and could not figure out how to make the conduit/Powerbeam transition.

Powerbeam

JH
Jerome Humery
Feb 02, 2015

Found a better pic of the connection....Although it seems impossible to create a completely sealed conduit/Powerbeam connection, using a conduit would minimize the cable's exposure.

Powerbeam Connection

Paul Grefenstette
Feb 02, 2015

What about the ubiquiti tough cable?

I havent needed to use it with our ubnt installations but i have heard its quality cable

(1)
(2)
Ethan Ace
Feb 02, 2015

Wireless gear is routinely installed without cables in conduit, usually STP, UV rated. There are definitely a lot of cheap cables out there that will end up cracking and failing. But there are plenty of cables should be fine for the purpose. I've also heard the Ubiquiti Tough Cable was good, but you'd need to field terminate it.

I know some wireless techs who prefer Belden's outdoor patch cords, so they may be a good start.

(2)
JH
Jerome Humery
Feb 02, 2015

Thanks for the input Ethan. Will look into the Belden patch cords along with the Hubbell patch cords Brian suggested.

Brian Rhodes
Feb 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

In this application, I'm not sure you have a good option other than using durable cable. Many outdoor boxes/devices include a knockout, but the Powerbeam doesn't look like that is an option.

In some cases, I've seen techs butt-joint a conduit end or nipple (no threads) flush and then use waterproof putty or heavy polyurethane caulk or silicone around the joint. But water tightness/service life depends on the tech doing a good job and the exposure of the area.

(1)
(1)
JH
Jerome Humery
Feb 03, 2015

Just ordered a couple Hubbell cables. Love making clean, custom stuff, but I've learned to pick my 'special' projects wisely.

Thanks for your help Brian.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions