Subscriber Discussion

Need Recommendation For Camera That Can Read Shipping Labels On Boxes

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 16, 2018

We have a problem with people saying they are missing items from their packages. So I want to place a camera above each shipping desk to record every box that is packaged to show what is put inside the boxes and the shipping labels that are stuck onto the boxes. If someone makes a claim I want to be able to pull the footage and see if we made a mistake or if the customer is scamming us. 

The shipping tables are 6' wide but could narrow the FOV down to about 3' if need be to read the labels. In that case, I could use an 8mm lens about 5 foot above the desk to give a 3' wide image. With a 5MP camera that is 864PPF. Not sure if this translate to 72 dpi but if so seems like should be able to read the 4" x 6" shipping labels? Would a basic 5MP bullet camera do the trick?

Any recommendation on a Hikvision POE IP camera that would be good for this? Or I guess any brand that would work with a modern Hikvision NVR. 

VC
Vlad Craciunescu
May 16, 2018

We had a number of similar requests from our customers ( we are distributor ). Most of the time they ended up getting a laser scanner/reader for the barcodes as that is much more reliable and easy to pickup via Serial/USB and get into the VMS/NVR. Otherwise the camera can be made to see the AWB but how do you plan to "read" the info ( OCR in the camera or NVR ? ) so it is searchable.

As i see it ( though obviously I don't know the real situation there ): if you make an internal procedure for the shipping guys to start the packaging with a read of the label with the scanner ( which should be easy to capture into the NVR via POS function ) and then have a camera also filming the packaging being done you will effectively get the result you are after, no ? 

(2)
(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
May 16, 2018

I just designed a system for a global manufacturer experiencing the same issues. 

For the proof of concept I used the Axis P1367 5 megapixel box camera with a Fujinon 8-80mm lens. Using a barcode reading ACAP loaded in the camera, we were able to accurately read barcodes up to 20 feet. 

Hikvision should have a similar offering. I would stage and test prior and provide your customer with screen shots to ensure they’re able to read what they need. 

Hope this helps. 

(1)
(6)
JH
John Honovich
May 16, 2018
IPVM

#2, good feedback. Which Axis ACAP app did you use?

(1)
UM
May 16, 2018

Hi John,

The AXIS Barcode Reader from Axis Solutions Lab

Axis Barcode Reader

(3)
MM
Michael Miller
May 16, 2018

What VMS are you using this with?   

UM
May 16, 2018

For this application ONSSI.

this functionality is VMS agnostic as the ACAP runs in the camera. 

MM
Michael Miller
May 16, 2018

Yea I understand.  Just wondering how the data is shown in the VMS.  Is this intergrated in the POS interface or is it just a overlay on the video?

UM
May 16, 2018

It’s just for review if an issue arises. No integration. 

MM
Michael Miller
May 16, 2018

So is it just a overlay on the video?

MM
Michael Miller
May 18, 2018

(2)
UM
May 18, 2018

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! 

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 17, 2018

Hello Vlad Craciunescu - I'm not familiar with using POS with a NVR but sounds like something I need to research. 

We're planning to use a Hikvision DS-9664NI-I8 or a DS-96064NI-I16. The packing slips have a large barcode which would be easier to read than the actual address. However, it would be nice to send the customer who says they only got 2 out of the 3 items boxed the video clip where you can clearly see their name and address on the label along with the 3 items being dropped and sealed in the box, rather than a fuzzy label that relies on barcode only to identify the package. 

It doesn't happen a lot but enough to quickly pay off the extra dedicated cameras because of the value of the items. Not that much concerned about search ability to find clip as we would know based on when the ordered was scanned/packed what time range to search and it doesn't happen enough to where the VMS if good or bad will make much of a difference in labor time. I'm more concerned about being able to zoom in and read the shipping name and address on the label. 

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 17, 2018

Michael Miller - I believe both NVRs we are considering use the Hikvision 4.11 firmware / VMS.

Undisclosed Manufacturer #2 - What size FOV did you have?

AH
Anthony Hackett
May 17, 2018

Senstar Symphony  has TCP/IP data sniffer as a standard offering.  Here is a video from a partner from a few years back: Symphony Bar Code Video 

You can download the software and test it risk free.

(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
May 17, 2018
IPVMU Certified

If you are just wanting to verify if the box was shipped based upon the customer name and address then a 5MP with say a 10mm - 50mm lens will do the trick. I did this years ago at a liquor distribution warehouse above a conveyor belt. What was really cool is we used a light reflector, like at the front door of a convenience store, to activate a white LED light on a timer when the box was nearing the camera.

(2)
UM
May 17, 2018

What a unique recommendation! ;)

GH
Griffin Hagler
May 26, 2018

This is a perfect case for a new product offering that I've been trying out.  It's the Smart Ella (www.smartella.com) which can provide Full Search and OCR of anything from boxes to UPS/FedEx truck and even turn a weeks worth of video into a Time Lapse based on your search term.  It's currently being distributed by IC Realtime.

MM
Michael Miller
May 26, 2018

I will have to test CAMIO to see if this works.

Armando Perez
May 29, 2018
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

Your problem is an operational one, not a technical one. Have your client start writing the client name or order number on the box in sharpie. This will reduce tech expense and provide another easier and quicker way for them to identify boxes. If they insist that sharpies wont work, have them print a second shipping label with just the order number is big letters. With proper learning and setup, pretty much any camera should do it.

(1)
(1)
Joseph Milic
Jun 03, 2018
CCTV Master

Hi

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions