Subscriber Discussion

Which UL Spec Does My Camera Need To Comply With?

SJ
Samuel Jacob
Jun 09, 2013

For one of the CCTV specifications, it says cameras should comply with UL 639. It doesn't make sense to me. Any thoughts?

JH
John Honovich
Jun 09, 2013
IPVM

Evidently, UL 639 is for intrusion detection products (see the spec's ToC). For instance, it appears that many DMP products are listed under UL 639 (see google results in DMP's site).

However, according to an Axis press release announcing their UL listing, they list under 60950. They note that it "is applicable to mains-powered (AC outlet) or battery-powered IT equipment and references more than 70 other UL standards. It also works to meet IEC 60950, which is an international product safety standard that Axis products comply with today."

Axis compares it to UL 2044, the traditional closed circuit television equipment specification.

I only know what I just reviewed today, but it does seem strange that a surveillance camera would need to comply with UL 639.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 10, 2013

Axis went for UL certification to keep up with Sony who had their products UL listed. Sony was using it as one of those "gotcha" NSI's (Nifty Spec Item). Of course this is all for power listing, not for security. I'm not aware of any UL 639 listed cameras, that listing is more for intrsuion detection systems. Maybe there is one manufacturer that had theirs listed that way as another NSI. Gotta love the spec-manship there...

JE
Jim Elder
Jun 09, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Is the spec in CSI Format? And are there other things secuity covered by it (such as a burglar alarm, Access control system, etc)? The Format calls for Part 1 to list compliant standards, and somtimes all are thown into the same Part 1 Aricle. That may explain why you have an unrelated Standard called for here. In such cases, the text should refer to "applicable standards" somewhere. Other than that, i would seek clarification of the spec provider... preceeded by your statement that this standard does not appear to apply to cameras. In fact it could be a typo or unedited boiler plate.

SJ
Samuel Jacob
Jun 10, 2013

Well, I noticed some documents are available online where cameras are complied to UL 639.

The consultant here knows it is for intrusion alarm and is insisting that cameras comply with UL 639 !

JH
John Honovich
Jun 10, 2013
IPVM

Samuel, can you share documents of surveillance cameras that comply with UL 639?

Ultimately, unless you can convince him otherwise, you are stuck. On the other hand, forcing such compliance is going to radically restrict product options.

Brian Karas
Jun 10, 2013
Pelican Zero

Our cameras are UL listed as well, I haven't been super involved in the process, but my understanding was that you don't have total control of how a submitted item is listed. UL has their own classes/categories, and they will evaluate a product and list it in the section they feel is the best category, though you can offer some input on this.

I think we end up getting listed in a computing category instead of a security category, due to the nature of our cameras. It's never been an issue to my knowledge though, it seems that *any* UL listing is sufficient for the jobs that require it.

SJ
Samuel Jacob
Jun 10, 2013

Thank you, I have replied based on all the replies I received. The consultant was convinced. :)

U
Undisclosed
Jun 17, 2013

I have seen some cameras from Speco listed under UL 60065.

Seems similar to 60095 (see link for descriptions for both standards).

Any thoughts about which one would be more appropriate or is it all basically the same. People simply looking for a UL approval to spec it into a commercial / government job.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 17, 2013
IPVM

Thanks for sharing that. As Brian noted, it's been our experience that the key issue is having any UL listing, not a specific category.

That said, as others has mentioned, I bet there is some gamesmanship played in specs to block out rivals by restricting UL support to a certain standard. However, it does not appear to happen that often.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions