Subscriber Discussion

NAS Throughput For Coldstore Or Similar Products

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 11, 2016

Been looking at the Veracity ColdStore line as well as a couple others that claim to do the same thing, like Spectra Logic.  I'm intrigued by the LAID storage concept.  Seems that discs will last longer, the unit will consume less power, and it's much easier to replace a drive if/when it fails (after all, all hard drives have a 100% failure rate, right?).

My concern is with regard to the write speed capacity, as one benefit of a RAID5 is the speed at which high volumes of data can be written to the array. 

Does anyone have any experience with this?  I'm thinking that this type of solution would not be beneficial for larger systems, but I'd like to get some feedback from the community.  Thanks!

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 11, 2016

FYI, some RAID implementations (often software) actually slow down system performance because of all of the CPU work and disk I/O.

Just be careful to assume a system running RAID has higher performance.

Also, if you calculate your performance, if the system can achieve it, good to go.

Coldstore can spin up a read drive while also writing to a different drive. If the video to be read is from the write drive, I believe it switches to another drive to keep performance up.

Some VMS integrations use coldstore for the long term storage, using an archive function, so direct "live" recording is done to the VMS internal storage.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions