Subscriber Discussion

Ubiquiti Nanobeam - Intermittent Problems With Radios Locking Up And LAN Ports Going Offline

Jeffrey Hinckley
Jan 08, 2016

We had been using the Nanostation (NSM-5) radios for several years, which have been fairly solid with IP cameras. Recently, we have used Nanobeam radios in PTP and PTMP (with Rocket AC). We are experiencing intermittent problems with radios locking up and LAN ports going offline.

Anybody else having similar issues? If so, were you able to discover the cause?

(1)
(1)
Luis Carmona
Jan 10, 2016
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

We had some similar issues with the newer Nanobeams and more recent Nanostations (by recent, I mean the ones bought couple years ago, when we stopped using Ubiquitis). Sometimes a firmware flash would work. We'd hook some up inhouse to configure them and occasionally they'd send the network into turmoil with every computer reporting IP address conflicts all over the place.

We switched to Ligowave/Deliberant and they've been better, even though we're still open to other solutions.

keith maxwell
Aug 08, 2018
Northeast Remote Surveillance and alarm, LLC

Bump, Bump! any updates on this I have 8 new ones with no LAN connectivity.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 08, 2018

I have been using Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16 Radios over the last couple of years and have started seeing this issue more frequently. I am seeing a failure rate of about 5% from of these radios and it usually occurs within the first 3 months on install. 

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 08, 2018

Wow, disheartening seeing this is still or becoming a problem again with Ubiquiti. We're looking at Cambium but haven't had a chance to test them thoroughly yet.

Seems like the only options available are either $60 radios or $600 and up radios. There's nothing really in the middle for people who don't mind spending more for better quality but don't need whatever features come with $600 radios for the simple applications that most security applications require - simple PTP and small PtMP Ethernet communications for (relatively) short distances.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Aug 08, 2018

The  most common point of failure I've seen in the UBNT radios are the Lan ports.  You can have a link go down, but can still 'see' the remote radio, but no connectivity to the attached devices.  Turns out the lan port on the remote radio is dead.

I believe these are sensitive to power spikes and other weather related issues.  One thing that  we've noticed is an improvement using the outdoor UBNT power adapters that allow direct plug into a 48v switch and step it down to 24v at the radio. We had a terrible lightning storm take out some switches; it knocked out the adapter but the radio was fine.  

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 08, 2018

Thanks for the information. I'll look further into the outdoor power adapters. 

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 08, 2018

Great info, Int 3. We never really looked at it that way.

keith maxwell
Aug 08, 2018
Northeast Remote Surveillance and alarm, LLC

The ones I have are DOA or soon there after, not power surge related issues.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions